Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35 RC front element repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Olympus 35 RC front element repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer
Username: Sauli_särkkä

Post Number: 43

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 12:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should have my hands on a new front glass element for my 35 RC and I was wondering whether someone has any experience or notes on the Olympus lens assembly.

-Sale

Olympfix
Tinkerer
Username: Olympfix

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 01:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a very simple swap over- I presume you have the whole lens assembly in its helicoid- remove front name plate, remove the screws -be careful the rangefinder rod doesn't come out.. replace, collimate to infinity-- put the camera on "B" and adjust rangefinder if necessary via hole in film channel under removable screw. RCs have quite a soft lens coating, and it's rare to find a good unscratched one.

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 44

Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 06:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm getting a brand new element for the RC, so it's gonna be nice and new-looking ;)

There's a small dent on the filter ring. I'll have to see if it'll hinder removing the outermost retaining ring and hope for the best. From there on, it should be a simple job as you say.

Thanks for the help; I'll let you know how it goes.

-Sale

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 45

Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 07:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, I removed the name plate (managed to get the thin retaining ring off, even with a slight dent on the filter ring), unscrewed the three screws that hold the focusing ring to the lens and connects it to the helicoid. How do I remove the lens? Does the front group just come out by rotating it counter-clockwise?

-Sale

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 46

Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, now I got it. It's just a matter of rotating the front element out WITH the helicoid. Let's hope the element coming in will be accompanied by the helicoid. If not, then I guess I'll have to figure out something.

-Sale

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 47

Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found, that the helicoid isn't included -- only the front element.

On the back of the helicoid-front group, I can see two holes that a spanner would logically fit in. Unscrewing that will evidently be the next step for me.

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 48

Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seems that I only have to remove the front ring of the group and the elements are exposed and ready to be swapped. Only the front one will be, so cool beans.

No, to get the darn thing open.. ;)

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 49

Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

..and it's done. I'll post pictures showing the disassembly process, so it'll be easier for others that need to do the same thing.

-Sale

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 50

Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

..and here it is, with commentary: http://www.saulisarkka.com/gallery/Cameras/Olympus%2035%20RC%20front%20element%2 0swap/index.html

Let's hope the new element arrives soon, so I can finish this project in a timely fashion.

I still can't believe I didn't start fiddling with cameras earlier. It wasn't that long ago I got into rangefinders in the first place, when I got my hands on my wife's friend's Mamiya 35-III that she had as a weight to keep a bin of dirty clothes upright (hamper?). I got my hands on the camera on March 11th. It's been a nice two months or so..

..from there, it's been all downhill..but a fun ride :-)

-Sale

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 103

Posted on Friday, May 08, 2009 - 02:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sale, it's been fun following the repair "live". Thanks for that.

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 51

Posted on Friday, May 08, 2009 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're welcome, let's hope this helps someone besides myself ;)

-Sale

Elwrongo
Tinkerer
Username: Elwrongo

Post Number: 17

Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks from me too, very interesting and informative description. Out of interest may I ask where you got the new front lens element from? Thanks again

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 57

Posted on Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 01:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got the element from, if I recall correctly, John from Zuiko.com .

-Sale

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration