Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

XG-M won't work with flash. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » XG-M won't work with flash. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nenyo
Tinkerer
Username: Nenyo

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 09, 2009 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone. I just stumbled across this forum and thought you may be able to help with a problem I’ve had for some time.

I have an old Minolta XG-M. It works perfectly until I put a flash onto it. When I try to take a picture the shutter stays open until I shut off the camera or remove the flash. If I do either of those things the shutter closes and the flash goes off.

I'm using an original Minolta auto 220x flash, bought with the camera, which works fine by itself and on other bodies.

The camera had a loose hotshoe and when I wiggled the flash around a bit sometimes the shutter would close and the flash would go off. I think this is just because it was being disconnected though. I tightened the hotshoe and now the flash doesn't move around any more.

I am now at a loss for what to do next. What might the problem be and how might I repair it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 139

Posted on Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a "stack" of connectors underneath the hotshoe. It is possible that they have moved around a bit if the hotshoe was loose.. It would be necessary to remove the top of the camera to check this out.

Does the camera seem to work well otherwise than the flash problem?

Nenyo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i would now like to see underneath the hotshoe and i might as well clean everything out while i'm at it.

everything works perfectly other than the flash. i've been using it mostly for outdoor daylight shots because of this though

i've been trying to disassemble this thing and i cant find a manual for it anywhere. the closest ive found was at

http://www.xd7undo.unl.pl/xgm.htm

i'm stuck at step 9 though. ive removed the release but the "on/off" switch below it is stuck firmly in place. there apears to be another "swrew" thing below the release but it is so tight that all i've managed to to is dent the notched piece where i put my screwdrivers. the others like it came off with ease but this one i have yet to remove.

is there a good manual somewhere or does someone have any advice to halp with this problem.

Nenyo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok so after looking at it for a while, it seems the "on/off" switch may not need to be removed. that side of the top piece is still not coming off thought. is there something i missed?

Mikel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 140

Posted on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't access the link which you provided.

I'm not going to give specific advice from memory these days as It's not very dependable anymore!

If you can wait a few days, I will try to get you the solution to getting the top off without damage.

Nenyo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i can certainly wait if you think you can find a solution.

i've just been fiddling around with different ideas but i don't want to force anything. any advice from someone who has done this or somthing similar before would be a great help.

Mikel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 141

Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The on/off switch stays with the top.

Once you've removed the release button and the loose shutter speed dial, there is nothing more under it to remove.

Did you remove the brass nut under the wind lever?

The top should come right off. The battery check button will be loose. The top will still be connected by three wires which go from the flex circuit to the bottom of the hotshoe.

Nenyo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been unable to remove the brass nut under the wind lever. i've been trying and it is stuck tight. I've just been using two small flathead screwdrivers for everything. is there a better tool to remove this that can be easily obtained (or made)?

Nenyo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i feel pretty dumb right about now. i didn't even think about making a tool untill i posted my last message. took me five minutes to get the top off. sorry to make you help me this long on this one thing.

now i can get back to my original problem.

nothing looks discoected underneat so i would guess its probably a bad capacitor or something (which i was afraid of). any ideas?

Converted Washer into tool
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt139/nenyo/washer.jpg

Open Camera - what next?
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt139/nenyo/cam1.jpg

Mikel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 143

Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would try a non dedicated generic electronic flash and see what happens. If it works OK your Minolta flash may be the problem. Remember to use a non-dedicated flash for the test.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration