Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Viewfinder focus does not agree with ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Viewfinder focus does not agree with film plane. (Canon SLR) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lorriman
Tinkerer
Username: Lorriman

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 07:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would love to hear from people with AL-1 experience but more general advice very welcome as I don't expect there is so much AL-1 experience out there.

My Canon AL-1 viewfinder focusses 3cm behind the real point of focus (ie. I get frontfocus). The electronic focus indicator is accurate but I prefer focusing with the viewfinder. I've tested this with scotch tape at the film plane and macro on my digi cam which gives me the equivalent of a 10x loupe. The focus error is consistent between two lenses, an FL55/1.2 and FD135/2.5. I'll be taking relatively close portraits so this error is a pain.

I am assuming that the focus screen needs adjusting. Is this usually an easy job for any SLR? Would it usually require partial dismantlement, or just turning some easily accessed screws?

I have no tools and no experience but I like to fiddle and the camera only cost £18. What do you think is my likely expenditure in tools, excluding a loupe, if I were to try this?

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 07:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, if you can't get it going, I will swap you something for the 55mm lens which I could use.

Lorriman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

an FD 55/1.2, perhaps? :-)

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 576

Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adjusting the screen is a major job, but with the prism removed you could use your digi cam as a substitute for the proper optical jig.

You will need a set of small crosshead screwdrivers to remove the top-plate and prism.

You will have to construct a simple jig to hold the camera at a fixed distance - about 1ft greater than min focus of 55mm lens - from a focus test chart. Fasten stripped camera on jig and focus chart on the scotch tape, reposition digi cam over screen and adjust screen until image is in focus. You should then remove the test chart and focus on an object at infinity. The screen and scotch tape images may/may not be, both in focus. If both images are sharp just re-assemble: however if you still have an error you will have to keep altering the screen until you reach the best compromise between the two images.

Personally I would leave well alone and use the electronics, the adjustment is much more than a fiddle - even to an experienced person. If you must use a screen, look out for one of the other types of basic A series bodies.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 879

Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you checked the mirror rests? If I'm reading you right, I think the optical path from lens to screen is shorter than the path from lens to film ... this could happen if there was a film chip or a bit of dirt stuck to the tab where the mirror rests in the down position. Assuming no one has been poking around inside your camera, this seems like a more likely cause of the problem than the screen mysteriously readjusting itself over time.

Lorriman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh dear, I feared that answer. Thanks for the advice, Glenn.

Strangely my Minolta XG-M is also in need of adjusting by 4cm (backfocus).

Can this problem be so common? I suppose people just get a CLA.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 84

Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Christian Rollinger's Canon FD site is back on line and he has a free Canon AL-1 service manual.

Lorriman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that, Rick.

I can't see anything untoward when I lift the mirror up.

Could a screen get adjusted by a camera drop? My XG-M recieved a bad knock. The AL-1 has brassing so perhaps it got knocked in it's lifetime.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 577

Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The screen could move out of adjustment due to a bad knock; however, the mirror assembly is the item more likely to be damaged - evidence from the badly knocked/dropped cameras I have looked at. Depending on how the mirror base locates on the stop and how the base is constructed, it is just possible for the metal base or stop to be bent.

As I do not know the construction of your XG-M I cannot comment on this model, but the AL-1 is quite robust in that department - Rick's mention of dirt or debris on the stop must be looked at before you do anything else.

Get the service manual from Christian's site, this will give you a good idea of what you can expect if you have to strip the AL-1 down.

http://www.canonfd.com/choose.htm

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 85

Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lorriman, you are using very heavy lenses (particularly the 55mm 1.2) on a lightweight body, it may be worth checking if the mounting flange has worked loose.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 142

Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The XG-M has a "user" removable focus screen. I've seen them reinstalled upside down. It's just clipped into place, and a jolt could dislodge it.

The prism is held in place by a pair of strong springs. They don't fail in a jolt but the plastic they are keyed into can snap and then it is beyond practical repair.

Lorriman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 04:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

great. thanks for all the info folks.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration