Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus Zuiko 300mm f4.5 lens repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Olympus Zuiko 300mm f4.5 lens repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robertro
Tinkerer
Username: Robertro

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone have experience with disassembling an Olympus 300/4.5 lens. I am trying to remove the front element group assembly, and have removed the grub screws, but the assembly does not budge!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2477/3538159566_c717bf5a60.jpg?v=0

The line at 1. in the pic above is what I am trying to remove. I was wondering whether it is a question of force (is it just seized because of paint/dried grease/locktight adhesive) or is it threaded or is it backwards threaded, or something even more subtle?

Thanks,

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 86

Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have no experience with this lens, but if locktight has been used on the threads, applying a few drops of WD-40 penetrating oil and leaving to soak for a few days will probably help.

I had as similar problem with the front group of a Yashica 50mm lens, it just wouldn't move, WD-40 freed it. The oil is a bit messy but preferable to using excessive force.

Robertro
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've put some WD-40 around the perimeter of where the lens seems to come apart, so I'll wait a day or so and give it another try.

Robertro
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I finally got the front assembly off - the secret magic was a pair of strap wrenches (used for removing car oil filters or jar tops) - worked like a charm. Now if I remember how to reassemble it, I'll be happy!

Robertro
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the curious, I am at the cusp of success. The shutter and lens are almost back together after some interesting experiences in the aperture linkage.

The next time I have a few moments, I'll put the mount on and give it a try.

Robertro
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It took a few days and some experimentation with the helicoid to find the correct position for infinity focus, but it's all together now.

Beyond the focus being stiffer than I'd like (I used a light coat of lithium grease - is this too thick?), all is excellent.

Robertro
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For all those who are interested, I compared the lens to a Soligor 300mm, and although the SOligor is quite decent, the Zuiko really shines....

http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=14322

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration