Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Light leak detector for MF folders Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Light leak detector for MF folders « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bvandrasik
Tinkerer
Username: Bvandrasik

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hopefully this will help out someone else (or maybe it is obvious to you all!) I just started messing with old MF folders. I have two with light leaks I could not locate using any tips I found online. So I put together this contraption: Two AA batteries taped together and wired directly to a flashlight bulb. It fits nicely into the expanded bellows of a MF folder with room to close the back. Stick it into your camera and go into a VERY DARK room, let your eyes adjust to the darkness for a few minutes. It also helps to have a mirror opposite you (I was in a very small powder room). Slowly and carefully inspect the entire camera, looking for any light leaking out. Especially focus on the bellows (of course), and the back-to-body sealing edges. Inspect it from different distances. Look in the mirror while slowly moving and rotating the camera. Reposition the flashlight if you can't find anything.

I was finally able to find the source of the leaks in both of my cameras using this method (one is at the corners where the bellows seal to the body, the other is the back hinge area and latch).

Leak Detector

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 885

Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like a good tool. I use a small strobe for checking bellows and shutter curtains and other light leak gremlins... you have to be looking in the right place when it goes off, but it will show up some very small pinholes.

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 125

Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like this idea. I have used a small maglite with the front unscrewed. The bulb is really small and pointy. I run it along the creases on the inside of the bellows while looking at it from the outside in a dark closet.

I've encountered some light leaks that were 'directional' for loss of a better description. With a simple light source inside the bellows I probably would not have found them. The maglite bulb right up against the crease of the bellows exposed them, though.

Ishmael
Tinkerer
Username: Ishmael

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 06:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice idea. I use an upturned enlarger with no lens.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration