Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Oly XA shutter wont fire Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Oly XA shutter wont fire « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Yellowjeep
Tinkerer
Username: Yellowjeep

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 02:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Been a long while since I have posted, forgot what a great resource this forum is.
Like the title states, my XA is acting up.
It has been opened up a couple of times to fix a non working/stuck aperture and in the process the beeper wires came un soldered. Since my skills in that area are lacking I just left it off because the light still works.
Fast forward a number of months.
I haven't been using this camera for a while because I have been really busy with school and what not and it has just been sitting. I pulled it out to run a few rolls through it and it doesn't work. The shutter is cocked but doesn't fire, the meter seems to be working but that is it. No green long exp. Llght and no check or timer light.
I popped some new batteries in but no avail. I then tested the battery contacts with a voltmeter and they are ok. I pulled it completely apart and there are no visible lose connections. On top of that I completely destroyed the red shutter button (but I did read the peanut butter lid/ guitar pick trick).
Any Ideas?

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 180

Posted on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 08:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First off, I'd try another set of batteries, even if the ones you have seem good. It's just too easy for a bum battery to send you off on a fool's errand. Assuming it's really not a battery, I'd try the self timer next. I've had an XA2 and and XA3 both die of an electronic failure that allows them only to work on self-timer. Unfortunately, there is apparently no fix for this other than a new chip, which in the case of XA's means another camera.

Yellowjeep
Tinkerer
Username: Yellowjeep

Post Number: 12

Posted on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, I was thinking about that while I was at work. They are new but I guess I don't really know exactly how new they are. I'll try another set.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration