Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Petri 2.8 CCS 2nd version lens cleani... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Petri 2.8 CCS 2nd version lens cleaning advice « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Spanner
Tinkerer
Username: Spanner

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 07:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all...new member so be gentle! I have just purchased a Petri 2.8 CCS, second version I believe with the green rangefinder glass and commemorative plate on top. The camera is in good general condition but I've noticed a few items that need work on and I'm looking for some advice as the web seems to be a bit lacking on information for this camera.

The lens elements look like they need a clean. I've discovered the front element comes off but it would seem that the dirt (possibly oil?) is on the rear element(s)behind the aperture blades. Can anyone advise on the easiest way to get into this element, ideally without removing the whole lens assembly? Is it possible to get entry from the film chamber? Additionally how easy is it to clean / brighten the rangefinder spot? I'm new to rangefinders so I'm not sure how clear it should be mind you! Is it best left alone unless its impossible to distinguish?

Any tips / tricks appreciated....and probably more daft questions to follow.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 146

Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can get the entire lens apart optically without having to remove anything other than the lens elements.

As you have discovered, the front comes out as one group.

The usual problem is the front surface of the back group. It can be very nasty.

Several years ago here I posted the toothpaste solution to this problem so you should search that.

If it's gone, and you can't find it, come back and let me know and I will re-post it.

Spanner
Tinkerer
Username: Spanner

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mikel, Thanks for the response. I went for cleaning the elemnents with a Q-tip and lens cleaning fluid. I managed to clean the front group by unscrewing the elements and the rear from the film chamber and by opening the shutter up on 'B' to get behind the blades. Probably not the safest way of cleaning but most of the muck seems to have come away. I'm not clear on how many groups of elements there are? Is it only the two ?

Anyhow, I'll run a film through it and see what the results are.....

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration