Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How to expose Koni Omega 90mm shutter... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » How to expose Koni Omega 90mm shutter leaves? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jayd
Tinkerer
Username: Jayd

Post Number: 53

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Koni Omega Rapid M 90mm Lens shutter blades have stuck and have obvious "stuff" on them. Makes me more than a little upset that I had a pro CLA this lens 2 years ago. The shutter still fires and sounds fine just the leaves won't open ,so if I can get a good Ideal of how to expose the shutter leaves I will clean them myself,maybe even clean and relube if lube is runing all over.
Thanks
Jay

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 27

Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My 90mm has a frozen iris so any tips anyone can pass along on fixing that is helpful also. Or, for that matter, taking the haze out of the 58mm.

Jayd
Tinkerer

Post Number: 58

Posted on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have figured it out and exposing the shutter and aperture blades is pretty easy on the 90mm.
1. Remove the lens hood assembly by sliding the hood forward to expose the three 1 mm retaining screws evenly spaced around the barrel, these screws need not be taken all the way out: back them out evenly until the hood assembly slips off.
2. Once the hood assembly is removed you will see three screws holding the shutter speed ring on I set the speed to 500 before removing then realign 500 to the mark when reassembling.
3. With the shutter speed setting ring removed find and loosen the 1 mm set screw on the front lens element set barrel, then un screw it off.
Now the front of the blades are exposed.
4. The rear lens elements set simply screw out with the two-leg spanner exposing the aperture and shutter blades. If you would like pictures let me know. I found some small soft white makeup sponges at Walgreen’s brand name Studio 35 that I superglue to a popsicle (AKA craft) stick that worked well to gently wipe the blades with, cutting back the soiled portion as I went.
I'll post pictures of this invention. Also available at Walgreen's are excellent tight wound cotton swabs with a wide and pointed end that do not shed like Q-tips.

Jay

Jayd
Tinkerer

Post Number: 59

Posted on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should add I used lighter fluid to clean the shutter blades with and a combination of both the cosmetic sponges and cosmetic swabs.
Always test sponges with the solvent you are using.

Jay

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 894

Posted on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a set of disassembly sketches for the Koni-Omega 90mm, if either of you would like a copy. email [email protected]

An excellent tool for cleaning aperture and shutter blades is a Q-tip. It's all cotton and paper so solvents won't affect it, and it's disposable - sometimes you'll go through a dozen or more on a single shutter. Whatever you use, you want to make sure your last pass is with a fresh, clean one.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration