Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Hate to ask: Argus C3 shutter release... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Hate to ask: Argus C3 shutter release inconsistent « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jayd
Tinkerer
Username: Jayd

Post Number: 57

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 07:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't know if this C3 had this problem before CLA or not but now shutter release jambs often. a lot of free movement in the pivot and that part that pulls the band back and
actually cocks with the shutter the disc has a lot of free up and down movement. Ive learned the hard way not to try to adjust the shutter opening with the screws in the face of the cocking disc unless absolutely nessary!if the leaves are close to open all the way leave it alone! Could be me: but these C3s seem more trouble than they are worth, but then there is nothing like the american Icon "Brick" what a lens for so cheap. What's the word ambivelence? or maybe slow learner in my case.

" only a watch maker or a fool fixes watchs " Robert K Dye
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 886

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wait. an argus c3 is supposed to be CONSISTENT? when did that happen?

seriously, though, in my experience C3's have cleaned up beautifully and turned into really good, if still odd-looking and ergonomically questionable, picture takers. I'm not sure what is making yours hang up, but it surely is a simple enough assembly to figure out with a bit of poking around.

You're right about the blades, as far as I can tell they are not supposed to open 100% - and they always open far enough that the difference doesn't matter. You can get a bit of flash synch adjustment out of those 2 screws on the shutter cocking cam, I don't think I'd try to get much else out of them.

If you want it to be really slick, after you get the screwed-up shutter release unscrewed, thoroughly clean the finder windows inside and out, and clean the rangefinder cam/finger wheel and the lens helical and relubricate them with something thinner than their original grease. You end up with one of the brightest rangefinders you'll ever use, and one-finger focusing that a Contax II user would envy.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration