Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Compur Rapid Shutter speed sticking Z... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Compur Rapid Shutter speed sticking Zeiss « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kenneth_james_martin
Tinkerer
Username: Kenneth_james_martin

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 07:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I am looking for some advice about my old Ikonta 520/2 with Carl Zeiss Jena Nr. 1795643 Tessar 1:3.8 f=10.5cm lens in Compur-Rapid shutter. I have just returned from a trip where everything was working ok and then suddenly the speed selector ring will not go past 25th sec mark. The shutter fires fine yet when the speed goes to 25th sec it makes a faint click sound like it has reached a stop mark. Wondering if this sounds like an easy thing to tinker with myself? Any advice would be well appreciated. BEst wishes, Kenneth

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 889

Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They are not bad to tinker with, if you're a tinkerer. Main thing is not to try to force anything until you've had a chance to determine the cause of the problem - right now it might just be a lever out of place, push it too hard and it could be one broken off. There are a number of places for leaf shutter repair guidance on the web ... many are better than mine, but I know where to find mine so here it is:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-55.html
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-88.html

In the face of the shutter speed selector ring you will find irregular arc-shaped slots. There are pins projecting forward from the clockwork gears that rest in these slots and are moved by the irregularly shaped sides of the slots as you turn the ring - this is how the speed setting is changed. If the gears become jammed, one of these pins may be unable to move. This may in turn prevent the selector ring from moving when the side of the slot engages the immovable pin. In most cases, cleaning is the solution. Be careful to document (digiphoto) every step of the way as you disassemble, particularly a shot showing where all of the pins are before you lift off the shutter speed ring ... this will be helpful on reassembly ... and be doubly careful at reassembly not to tighten anything down until all of these pins and levers are accounted for in their correct slots. They can be bent or worse by the reassembly if they are not in their slots.

Kenneth_james_martin
Tinkerer
Username: Kenneth_james_martin

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 07:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks Rick! I just need to get hold of a set of small enough screwdrivers to open the lens / shutter up, I feel confident having looked at your guidance notes to have a careful tinker... Best wishes, Kenneth

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration