Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

The Toothpaste Thing Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » The Toothpaste Thing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 148

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I have had some posts asking me about this thread which seems to be out of the archives, let me address it again:

The original post was a method of cleaning the front face of the rear doublet of the Petri Tessar formula lenses used in many of the 1950's Petri rangefinder cameras.

They seemed to be prone to a chemical deposit on the front face of the lens pair just behind the shutter.

It can be very difficult to clean and I finally used toothpaste (tartar formula worked best) to get it off. It actually left the lens coating intact according to my experience. Of course you need to get the lens doublet out of the camera before trying this.

And no, it will not polish out scratches in the glass.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Maineiacbob
Tinkerer
Username: Maineiacbob

Post Number: 12

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 05:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mikel
Thanks for that. Tried it and no luck on my lens for the scratches or fungus. Guess I will be offering my camera to parts guys.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration