Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35 RC Stuck Aperture Blades Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Olympus 35 RC Stuck Aperture Blades « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mrnobody
Tinkerer
Username: Mrnobody

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello. I have an Olympus 35 RC which I got for £5, it's in great condition apart from a little ding on the top plate, and the aperture blades stuck on a small aperture, almost closed (the hole is about 1.25mm diameter).

I thought I'd have a go at fixing it myself, a: I've found myself unemployed and b: it was £5 and I love fixing things. Can anyone post and links to posts showing possible fixes, or dismantling tutorials etc? I've hunted, but my Google skills seem poor.

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer
Username: Sauli_särkkä

Post Number: 55

Posted on Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 01:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I recall correctly, you can get to the aperture by
1. removing the front retaining ring
2. lifing out the meter cell assembly along with the ISO setting system
3. unscrewing the focus coupling
4. turning the front lens group, lifting it out of the helical

--> now you should see the aperture blades. If they're stuck together because of gunk or debris, you can sometimes get them to work properly by just giving them a little touch and a fiddle with a cotton swab. If not, you'll have to go further with the disassembly.

There's also a potential problem with the aperture catch that is linked to the metering needle. That can be found and looked at by removing the left-hand front leathers (from the photographer's point of view) and removing the covering plate. You can fiddle the plate out without removing the top and bottom covers, but it's much easier with at least the bottom plate removed.

If you need to remove the top plate, it's no big deal:
- unscrew all three (?) tiny screws
- jam the film rewind knob by holding the axle's fork still with a screwdriver, etc. and just winding the handle counter-clockwise
- using a two-pronged tip, unscrew the shutter speed setting dial counter-clockwise
- ..and lastly, unscrew the self-timer lever's screw that has A "BACKWARDS" THREAD, or in other words, it'll come out by turning it clockwise

Take care when lifting the top cover, since the flash sync wire is soldered on.

Oh, does the shutter fire in any case? The aperture system on the RC is always set to its smallest aperture when the shutter release is not being pressed. It opens up to the set (or metered) aperture when the shutter release is pressed down.

-Sale

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer
Username: Sauli_särkkä

Post Number: 56

Posted on Saturday, June 06, 2009 - 01:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Almost forgot. Here's a few snaps of the removal process: http://www.saulisarkka.com/gallery/Cameras/Olympus%2035%20RC%20front%20element%2 0swap/index.html

-Sale

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration