Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A1 Disassembly Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Canon A1 Disassembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dsides
Tinkerer
Username: Dsides

Post Number: 14

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a step-by-step guide to taking apart (in order to clean) a Canon A1 anywhere on the web? I've downloaded the Service Manual, but it doesn't exactly 'hold your hand'. (Yes, I know, I should wait until I have money and 1)buy an A1 that already works; 2)have a professional do it. I'm broke and bored and curious).

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 94

Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tomosy's Book 2 contains a brief description for working on the A-1. His books are essential reading and reasonable value.
Very briefly: 1) Remove the rubber plug in the eyepiece shade lever and unscrew. 2) Push the mode selector finger guard up and remove the visible screw. Gently take off the plastic pieces revealing a metal plate, remove the 2 screws and lift off the plate, watch out for the small detent ball! 3) After removing the facia surround and all the other screws the top plate is now only held by the collar around the release button. This is often very difficult to unscrew. Try a rubber pad, but you may have to use a flexigrip wrench. Before you wriggle off the top make sure the red LED is completely free of its small collar. Sometimes the collar is glued and the only way to remove the LED is to gently pry it free of its connections to the circuit board, you want to avoid that.
PS set the viewfinder display to ON.

Dsides
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I managed to get the top off, (using a post I saw here) but hesitated to dive under the leatherette without guidance. The inside of the camera is covered in grit (not salty grit - no corrosion) and needs cleaning. Could I dump a load of lighter fluid into it, or will that mess up some other components? As it is, it won't advance. The meter works until the shutter button is pushed all the way, then I have to turn it to "L" and back to "A" for it to work again.

Gez
Tinkerer

Post Number: 95

Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once the top is off the A-1 is very similar in construction to the AE1 and the front panel comes off the same way. Don't be tempted with a quick fix as it appears you will have to examine and clean each module, with no guarantee that the electronics are intact. Consider it a learning exercise.

Dsides
Tinkerer

Post Number: 16

Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! Now I'm off to search for AE-1 instructions...

Dsides
Tinkerer

Post Number: 17

Posted on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I managed to get it cleaned out enough to [carefully] wind the advance lever, but it still won't fire. The meter reads [new battery], but goes off after the shutter button is pushed - and the shutter doesn't release. After I turn it to "L" then back to "A" the meter is working again. When I was fiddling with the Multiple Exposure lever, I discovered that it would wind again [easier], but still not fire. Any ideas? (Besides using it as a decorative door stop).

Gez
Tinkerer

Post Number: 97

Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 03:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm only guessing but it appears that the main switch is still dirty or there is a short somewhere. It is always worth checking the wiring to and the continuity of the release and timing solenoids. Accessable under the base plate.

Casual_collector
Tinkerer
Username: Casual_collector

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My A-1 wouldn't fire with a fresh battery. A trip to the shop fixed it. (I wasn't adventurous enough)
A capacitor under the baseplate was the culprit. Sorry I don't know which one.

Gez
Tinkerer

Post Number: 98

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The release solenoid (the one at the rewind end) has a capacitor in series with the coil and a diode across it. The capacitor is a tantalum type and is reliable, (not like the electrolytics used in some Minolta models), but it is worth checking the solder connections and flexistrip for corrosion damage.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration