Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Argus C33 Loading Problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Argus C33 Loading Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mckearney
Tinkerer
Username: Mckearney

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a pristine condition Argus C-33 bought some years ago and never used. Despite
many attempts, I cannot seem to properly load film. The film engages the metal
prong on the takeup roller, and seems to advance while the back is open (but see below). When the back is closed, film advance hangs up entirely, sometimes stripping sprocket holes. I have gone through several rolls of scrap film, with same bad results. The little metal prong doesn't stay connected to any film sprocket, but comes back to grab another hole for the next exposure. This must mean that the film is meant to just sit loosely in the takeup chamber. Is this correct? After messing up some film, I realized that the film sprocket does not turn at all in the forward direction, either by hand or with operation of the advance lever. This is what is tearing up the film sprocket holes.

Thanks for any suggestions. -- James

Mckearney
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NOTE ADDED: I have just learned from another C33 user that it is abnormal for the film sprocket NOT to advance toward the takeup side, except that it will lock after advancing 8 cogs toward takeup. Then it is released by shutter operation. So, my problem is that the sprocket does not get unlocked.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 903

Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this one of those that you have to manually set the exposure counter before you close the back? I had one for a short time, ran a roll or two of film through it but never got really familiar with it. I have a general recollection of it being a bizarre design, but not a lot of specifics.

Mckearney
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Rick, the counter is set from the inside. Yes, some of the operations are 'bizarre.' One of these is that the film isn't really connected to anything on the takeup side, and is (designed to be) advanced by the little metal prong on the takeup reel that travels backward to grab a new sprocket hole with each film advance. It has to be seen to be appreciated :-).

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 908

Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

funny how much i can forget ... but it was about 4 years ago i guess. i have a kodak signet 80 from about the same time, it has no takeup spool at all.....

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration