Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus XA 1 low light indicator Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Olympus XA 1 low light indicator « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Micahg
Tinkerer
Username: Micahg

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 01:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just purchased an Olympus XA 1 at my local thrift store and thought it would be fun to mess around with. The only problem is that it only seems to work when I have the flash on. Otherwise the low light indicator thing stops me from taking photos. Even when there is plenty of light. I have found that when i open the back up and test the shutter the low light indicator does not come on at all and shutter fires, but as soon as a close the back the indicator pops up again, preventing the shutter from firing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 112

Posted on Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I'm not sure about the XA1 but I think I remember that XAs kind of override part of their electronics with the back open so that you can fire with the back open and the slider over the lens closed (useful when loading film). As said I'm not sure if it is the same with the XA1.
But if it is the problem of your camera is most likely to be related with the selenium cell of the XA1. Either the cell went dead or a problem with the wiring.
Anyway I think the problem is meter related as the camera fires when the metering is overridden either by setting it into flash mode or with the back open.
Not much help I fear.
Martin

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 39

Posted on Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have one with the same problem. It is not worth my time to fix it but have thought about using solar cells from $1. calculators as replacements when feasible.

Micahg
Tinkerer
Username: Micahg

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well that sucks! Oh well. Thanks for the input.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration