Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OM1 mirror sticking Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Olympus OM1 mirror sticking « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hovaness
Tinkerer
Username: Hovaness

Post Number: 77

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My OM1 has developed a mirror return problem. Every few times the shutter fires, the mirror does not return to the correct position. It stops a few mm from the support pin. When I move the mirror by hand, I can sense friction in the mechanism. Is there any way I can fix this without pulling out the mirror cage assembly?

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 59

Posted on Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Put a drop of lighter fluid on the pivot points of the mirror mech, fire a few times and carefully using a hand blower,(don't blow the fluid onto the focus screen) blow the fluid out of the pivots/spring area and try shutter. If you are going to lube (don't try unless necessary) use only a tiny touch of light oil or silicon on the tip of a small tool or tweezers.

Olympfix
Tinkerer
Username: Olympfix

Post Number: 10

Posted on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 11:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

May be the mirror dampening shock absorber mechanism sticking, giving the fault. You'll need to take the mirror box out, then remove the side plate to get access to clean it. Not a simple repair, (depends which version of OM-1 you have)-make sure you take lots of notes (or digital photos) about positions of various levers, and docking positions to ensure correct reassembly. Don't use wet lubricant of any kind on the shock absorber- it must be dry-graphite powder in tiny amounts is OK. Also, ensure mirror up lever is reset to correct "down" position-if slightly "up" it will cause this problem. Sometimes I've seen the lever bent.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration