Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta xd11 sticks in up position Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Minolta xd11 sticks in up position « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 155

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 12:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My XD11 has started to stick with the mirror up when shooting, usually after the third or fourth shot, doesn't matter what speed, with or without battery (O position). I read that there's an air cylinder that can cause such sticking, but after taking the top off, I need to know where it is to clean it. Any help? I read the Leica R4 thread, but the problem was that it said the cylinder was on the right side, but I just don't see it.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 102

Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 03:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are some variations in the XD7/XD11 but removal of the top is not always necessary. The front panel & mirror box can stay in place too.
The piston sits under the front decorator plate that surrounds the mount.
Firstly, remove the 2 screws holding the aperture-viewing window plate, a slit in the front decorator plate should now be visible. This slit will allow you to slightly spread the sides of the plate to clear the lens mounting ring.
A fabric covered plate will now be visible (wind-on side). Unclip to reveal the piston. In action, the air-damping piston slows down the upward movement of the mirror; that gives the aperture time to close down before the mirror mechanism signals the shutter it's OK to release the 1st curtain.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 156

Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! I needed to remove the top anyway because my flash blew in a huge puff of smoke and I wanted to make sure the circuits weren't fried. I should be able to do the rest of the disassembly now.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration