Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikkor 20mm f1:2.8 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Nikkor 20mm f1:2.8 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 249

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone got into one of these?

I have Rick's notes on the 50mm, and most of these lenses apart from the 55mm are supposed to be similar, but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm missing a trick. The front element (plus unspecified parts behind) will screw out so far, but appears to be held in by the outer part of the ring around the element. That's the bit I can't get to budge for love nor money despite a big fat rubber tool.

Before I break my own wrist or throw it out of the window, has anyone else had one of these apart? I'd like to confirm that I am going in the right way before I do any (more?) damage. I cannot see any way of getting in from the back, and there is no way in under the grip on the focus ring, but I just can't shift the bit that looks as though it has to move...

Thanks!

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 250

Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone? I work with a body builder and he's just had a go, and he can't unscrew it either... And I can't find a schematic on the web. Getting a bit frustrated...

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 68

Posted on Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have no idea what you are describing.....would it be possible for you to send me pic or two so I can firgure out how to help you?

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 251

Posted on Friday, June 19, 2009 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've cunningly left it at work, so no pics until after the weekend... not very clever of me!
They are also PITA to find a pic of online. This is about the best: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/pho/1229676121.html

Anyway, that is the same type of lens. If you look very carefully at the bottom right-hand pic, you can just about see that there is one black ring around the front element, and a second ring outside that. The ring around the element will unscrew, bringing the element with it, and they both come loose together, but the outer ring - the one that won't budge - stops me removing them.

Does that make any more sense?

Bossman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 71

Posted on Friday, June 19, 2009 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you want to send it to me, I will disassemble it for you N/C and ship back to you so you can continue your adventure. Deal? www.flcamerarepair.com

Blackbeard_ben
Tinkerer
Username: Blackbeard_ben

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, June 19, 2009 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adrian,

I'm trying to do exactly the same thing with a pair of 20mm f/2.8 lenses myself. One is in very rough condition but has a perfect front element, which I'm trying to transplant to the other.

I have a little experience with taking apart lenses after working on a pair of Series E lenses (very simple), so I though why not give it a try on these two since each one was rather cheap.

Now, the ugly one is really rough and grimy, probably the worst lens I've seen that still has passable glass. The aperture and focus labels are almost illegible, and there are scratches all over the barrel & filter that was on it.

Its rubber focus ring is loose, so I took it off all the way and discovered a set screw in it. I loosened it a bit before it wouldn't budge any more; it's full of grime and I was beginning to strip the top. From there, I though it might be able to twist off. Using my hand I was able to twist it just a little bit, enough to see some movement. It took an incredible amount of torque though, enough that my wrist still hurts.

I decided that the lens is so ugly that I don't care if it gets any worse, so I took it in to my garage and put it in a vise with one of those rubber jar-opening grip things. I tried turning it by hand again and got it to turn a little more, but not much. I decided it was time to try the wrench. I grabbed a very large adjustable serrated grip wrench and used another rubber jar opener between it and the ring. Clamping down hard, it began to turn. If I let up too much, it just scraped off the paint. I was able to rotate it around until it came loose. It came off easily at that point, just slipping forward.

Now I'm at a standstill. I don't have any rubber lens rings, and I'm not sure if unscrewing the inner ring will free the glass. There's three screws in the barrel, but I believe they're glued down (as were the ones inside the back of the lens).

Anyway, Bossman's offer seems pretty good for what you're trying to do.

Bossman: Actually, I would be interested in paying a repair fee and/or letting you keep the ugly lens as parts in return for exchanging the front element groups on them - if you'd be interested in something like that.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 106

Posted on Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 03:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slightly off topic. Is it wise to exchange the individual glass elements of 2 apparently identical lenses? I read somewhere that glasses and even whole optical cells are often matched-up in the factory??

Blackbeard_ben
Tinkerer
Username: Blackbeard_ben

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 06:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I know that at least some lenses are matched up in the factory (in particular the Kodak Retina). I don't know about all lenses in general, and I was kind of hoping that Bossman would say something against doing what I had in mind if that were the case. However, lenses are repaired all of the time and I can't imagine that every one is optically relaigned - Or maybe I'm totally wrong about that.

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 252

Posted on Monday, June 22, 2009 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bossman/Art,

Have sent you a private message - in case you haven't got it, as soon as I have a moment and a box I'll send it your way. Happy to pay return postage - but we can sort that out when it's needed.

Thanks!

Bossman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 72

Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry I was away for a few days......Adrian, I thought I answered you! I will disassemble the lens for you and ship back for just a 5.00 shipping charge. This is just for YOU, BTW, I don't normally work for free (in case hundreds of KY members get ideas!! To Blackbeard Ben: Do not worry about matched lens elements. As long as the elements are for the same size/mm lens, it can be focused to be as sharp as the orig.

Steve_roberts
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_roberts

Post Number: 31

Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 08:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This sounds a similar problem to the one I posted regarding disassembly of my Pentax 50mm f1.2 lens. I can unscrew the ring with "SMC Pentax" etc so far and then it comes up against the filter thread which seems to be a smaller diameter. I've looked under the rubber grip for screws and posted messages on other sites but so far no-one has been able to tell me how to take apart this lens (in order to remove fungus). I've done plenty of the usual f1.8s and f1.4s but this f1.2 has me stumped. Any ideas, please?
Thanks,
Steve

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 253

Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bossman,

Check your email - I've sent you a private message. Hope that is all OK (I'm making a grand job of making a simple task very awkward!)

Bossman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 75

Posted on Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adrian: Got your message....thanks!
Steve: Did you try unscrewing the whole barrel/filter ring using a piece of rubber? If that doesn't do it, I'll make you the same deal as Adrian!! Do enough freebies and maybe Obama will send me a balloout and I can go to Hawaii.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration