Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Can Anyone here Date This? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Can Anyone here Date This? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephenl
Tinkerer
Username: Stephenl

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone tell me when the original Gossen Luna Pro's were manufactured?

I've been accumulating some old cameras that don't have meters so I picked up a few old meters! The old Gossen Luna Pro used mercury batteries so I plan to use the converter that sold to use modern batteries with it.

I've spent some time surfing the net but have been unable to find the manufacture dates for those old meters.

Which reminds me, I should try Gossens web site and see if they have any such info there.

Stephenl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok guys. I went to the company web site and I think I may have the answer.

The Luna-Pro was the American name for the German manufactured "Luna Six". The company web site shows they started making the Luna Six in 1960. And that a new line came along, I forget, around 1960. They never really say when they stopped making an old line. But this would be pretty close, the meter I'm getting is most likely made on or about 1960 thru 1965.

I noticed the last time they started a new luna model was in the 80s and the word "Digi" seems to be their popular model name word these days.

I really didn't think I was going to find this information...I had given up then realized why not try the company.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 54

Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember a used one of these being offered to me in 1971.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 612

Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The original Luna Six range had a grey plastic case, whilst the more recent 3s has a black plastic case. The factory can no longer service the grey cased models; however, they service/calibrate and provide 'free small parts' for the black cased versions.

My 3s and attachments still get plenty of use - they're good accurate meters.

Stephenl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys.

I now have a twin lens reflex camera and and old folding camera with a bellows on it and neither have a meter on them. B The folding camera was made in the depression era and the twin lens in 58.

I very quickly figured out that as a novice, I'm going to shoot better with them by using a meter. I just picked up an old original Luna-Pro for about $32 with shipping (and battery). I'll most likely get a battery converter however so I can plug longer lasting modern batteries in rather than use the modern, short lived replacements.

I also picked up a functional Gossen Pilot which uses one of the cells that generates enough juice to not need a battery. Got it for 15 dollars including shipping. I figured what the heck, for 15 bucks I wanted to roll the dice on an old meter that doesn't use a battery....see what I can do with it.

Looking forward to shooting with the old light meters. The twin Lens Reflex camera appears to work well. The 35mm test roll had a few good images and the rest had exposure issues on my part. I'll convert it back to medium format film for my next run with it.

I haven't shot yet with the old folding camera. It appears to be in working condition, I see a small pin hole in the bellows. I'll probably fix that by wrapping some black plastic around the bellows when shooting. Nothing evasive. I'm only going to use it a couple of times a year at best, the rest of the time it will just sit around looking pretty...well, looking pretty old anyway.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration