Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Stumped by Copal MXV shutter in Yashica Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Stumped by Copal MXV shutter in Yashica « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 84

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've cleaned and lubed this thing for like five times now. It is spotless. It runs smoothly, shutter blades are immaculate and oil free. It is still running about 1/4 or 1/5 second slow on the one second shutter speed. Any ideas?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 920

Posted on Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In most shutters of this type, you can adjust the speeds by loosening the screw at one end of the escapement assembly and sliding the assembly a bit sideways, either closer to or farther from the lens. Some have a slotted hole, in some it's just a little oversized to permit some movement.

Having said that, 1/4 to 1/5 second slow at the 1 second setting is not really out of spec.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 85

Posted on Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick. I really wish I'd known that sooner. I've spent days cleaning and polishing this thing, trying to coax that extra 1/4 second out of it and it's within spec. Thought about moving the escapement assembly sideways, but figured adjusting it for 1/4 second would require a micrometer of some kind. Sigh.

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 84

Posted on Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 04:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Theory and practice, that is what this is about, I guess.
A great number of people would assume their cameras are out of order if they checked the shutters for accuracy, in that case only a very small number would pass the test, all others are very likely to be off, somehow. That is what life is like.
Taking pictures, even slides, is possible though, with no unwanted effects.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration