Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Dismantling m-mount leica summaron 3.... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Dismantling m-mount leica summaron 3.5cm « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dtkky
Tinkerer
Username: Dtkky

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 01:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
I'm trying to dismantle this lens for cleaning. Repair book says to remove rear retaining ring first but the photos are not clear. I can see three rings at the rear (inner, middle and outer). Can anybody help me out as to which one to remove first?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 618

Posted on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have not worked on this particular lens; however, logic would suggest that unscrewing the outer ring allows the complete optical unit to be removed from the helical/mount unit - as happens with other lenses of similar construction.

Dtkky
Tinkerer
Username: Dtkky

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, June 22, 2009 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glenn for the tip. Here is a photo of the rear. You can see what looked like a outer ring which is thick and flat with 2 holes diametrically opposite each other, a thimmer ring with 2 notches just inside the first one, and another thin ring with 2 notches adjacent to the rear glass element.rear view of lens

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 619

Posted on Monday, June 22, 2009 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My reading of the illustration would be - Inner ring retains rear element in the rear group assembly 'holder'. Middle ring is rear group assembly, unscrew this to remove complete rear optical assembly. Outer ring holds the complete optical/iris unit in the helical/mount assembly. Thus if I was in your situation the outer ring would be loosened first - you will soon know if you are on the right track as movement appears between the filter ring and the mount.

Do not loose or misplace any shim washers that might be revealed.

I have always assumed (rightly or wrongly) that Leitz used thin retainer rings with slots for holding lens elements, whilst retainers for mechanical units or complete assemblies were thicker with circular holes.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration