Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Spider in my Voigtlander Vito IIa V... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Spider in my Voigtlander Vito IIa Viewfinder...yike! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Davidst
Tinkerer
Username: Davidst

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 06:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just purchased a lovely Voigtlander Vito IIa, with perfect case. All going nicely until I noticed an insect in the viewfinder.
And then examined in strong light some spider webs....Yikes! And I thought I saw a tiny, tiny, spider. Has to be removed.

Do I sit the camera in the sun in a plastic bag with some toxic surface spray to kill the beast??
And then how do I get to clean the viewfinder and viewfinder compartment???

Have had a search but can't find anything how to get to the viewfinder mechanism/box and lens.

Thanks, can you help, you Voiogtlander lovers???

Davidst
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, June 22, 2009 - 02:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Read somewhere about the Vitessa that the top comes off by screws in the film compartment. One screw in the cassette area and another screw under the take-up spool, and then the whole camera top lifts off. Is this the same for the Vito IIa?? Can't see another screw under the take-up spool and may have to remove the spool. Does it all go "sproingngng!" when the take up spool is removed by the mechanism at the camera baseplate??

Any hep would be great as I am very keen to put a film through asap but cannot bear to use the camera looking through a camera web. I'm like a lot of you, like my cameras in perfect nick.

Any help most appreciated.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 114

Posted on Monday, June 22, 2009 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read somewhere that with the Vito B the top comes off by removing one screw in the cassette area and the screw in the flash/accessory shoe. Nothing mentioned that sproingngngns out when removing the top.
But no guarantee - only hearsay.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/the-open-mind/3303961246/

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 182

Posted on Monday, June 22, 2009 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the vitomatic II and Vito CLR that I have, the tops come off very easily, with a few obvious screws. It's simplified by the wind lever coming out from under the top. On those, you do not remove the flash shoe.

Davidst
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys, appreciate your help. Anyone else got suggestions?? cheers Dave st

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 184

Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 07:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My suggestion would be simply to take the top off and see if you can remove the spider. If this is a rangefinder model, make sure you don't disturb the adjustment of the moving parts, but if something has gotten into your view, it's almost certainly going to be fairly easy to spot. The V'lander rangefinders put much of their optics into a single block which has no entry for spiders.

I suppose I should caution you to make sure it really is a spider and a web, not a slivering defect or chip that mimics it. I once had a dropped SLR with a chip in the prism which looked surprisingly like a bug. I'd have sworn up and down that there was a cockroach on the screen.

Davidst
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 12:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cleaned the viewfinder, with screws removed by Msiegel's advice.

Looks beautiful now and such a lovely camera to use.

Thanks everyone, very helpful.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 118

Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad to hear it worked. What about the spider?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration