Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leica IIIa rangefinder spontaneously ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Leica IIIa rangefinder spontaneously can't focus past 1m « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tobias_f
Tinkerer
Username: Tobias_f

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,
despite being a long time reader, I am a new member to the forum.

I have been slowly restoring my IIIa, which initially needed the slow speed escapement cleaned, and the RF mirror replaced. Last week I finally had the whole thing complete, re-covered, test roll shot, everything was perfect. So after a few days of it sitting in front of me, and periodically picking it up to check that what i had done a good job, the RF just changed its mind. It did not fall, and was not in the sun.

What seems to be happening is that its infinity is now at about 1m, and its closest focusing point is at about 30cm. Since I never touched the RF mechanisms, i am pretty sure that the cam has not moved, and it still has a full range of movement, it is just not focusing at the right distances.

Does anyone have any idea what could have spontaneously happened, or how to rectify this issue?

Also, on a side note, due to the time that passed between my starting the repair and completing it, i have forgotten what held the end caps on the RF tube: were they cemented in, originally?

Thanks for your input,
Tobias

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 185

Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 07:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's been ages since I had one of these open, but I seem to recall that the moving part of the RF mechanism is returned to infinity by a spring, and that the cam lever only pushes, does not pull, so the fact that the cam is returning all the way does not guarantee that the mirror is following it back. If this is so, my guess is that something is hanging up the mirror mechanism from swinging back, and that you need to get under the cover again, and see if you can free it up. Perhaps a screw too tight, or a lack of lubrication. I don't think the return spring is very strong.

One thing I'd try before anything else is to take the lens off, and see what happens if you push the cam in all the way and then let it go with a snap. If the mirror returns, then you know it's just a little binding. Perhaps if that's the case you can limber it up without opening it.

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 127

Posted on Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds similar to the mechanism on the Zorki 4. I bought one with a stuck rangefinder, the spring was still in place but too weak to push the cam out. A drop of oil on on the pivot and a minute or two of exercising the mechanism by hand and it now works perfectly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration