Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon 7 - Lens dry...What to do? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Canon 7 - Lens dry...What to do? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Johnmaloof
Tinkerer
Username: Johnmaloof

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canon 7 Rangefinder with a Canon 50mm 1.8 screw mount, M39, lens. The lens appears to be from the 50's.

The focus ring is very smooth but the problem is with the aperature ring. It sounds like bits of sand are being ground when I turn it and it's very tight. I am good with mechanics but I don't want to risk damaging the lens. Is there anything I can do to repair this myself?

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 76

Posted on Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not really Sir! To take the diaphragm apart is more of a job than you will want to tackle. You're talking about removing the shutter from the case and then dissy of the diaphragm rings and blades.................allow a week or two and plenty of cigarettes/mixed drinks!!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 924

Posted on Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is no shutter anywhere near the lens in a Canon 7. Still, it is not a trivial job. Have you done this sort of thing before?

I have notes on some M39 lenses, but I'm pretty sure the f/1.8 Canon is not among them. You're welcome to what I have, though, it might be useful to get a look generally at how these things go together.

Bossman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 78

Posted on Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick: Isn't the diaphragm BEHIND the shutter in a Canon 7 and 7s Canonette? What am I thinking?

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 117

Posted on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 01:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Art,
The Canon 7 was the last in series of Canon Leica M39 compatible cameras. It had a stainless steel horizontal focal plane shutter and exchangeable lenses. It also had an extra bayonet to take the 50mm f 0.95 lens. Have a look here:
http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?Canon7.html~m ainFrame

Johnmaloof
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick: I have not done this sort of thing before. Perhaps a CLA from a camera repair shop would be the best idea. Is there a general price for a lens CLA? Has anyone had one done before?

Thanks everyone! By the way, the shutter curtain is in the body of the camera, not in the lens. This is an M39 compatible, screw-mount lens.

Bossman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 80

Posted on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, you all are right...........I was thinking Canonet!!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 927

Posted on Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 05:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a very good directory of repair services at http://acecam.com/srindex.html - hopefully you can find one that's convenient. This is not a big job for a repair shop, it shouldn't be too much.

Johnmaloof
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone! I will take a look at that website now.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration