Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rank Mamiya 4B (Maybe!) Focus issue... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Rank Mamiya 4B (Maybe!) Focus issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Zelandeth
Tinkerer
Username: Zelandeth

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a project I'm not going to get to until the weekend - as I don't have the camera in front of me - hence the "maybe" on the model name in the title - that's based on my memory of it and photos found on the internet! Is the only Mamiya which looks right though.

This camera developed a fault a long time ago (well before I was born!) following my parents taking it on holiday - popular theory has been that a grain of sand from a Canadian beach has got somewhere that sand has no right to get.

The fault is that the focus will not come into line at either close distances or infinity - Can't remember precisely which unfortunately, but I'm 90% sure that the problem was at infinity. It's a long time since I put a film through it! One thing which was never confirmed (as I didn't understand it at the time) is whether it's actually impossible to focus the camera - or whether it's simply that the focus and rangefinder are "out of sync" with each other.

Now, when I last had a shot of this camera, I was about 12...and knew a lot about photography for a 12 year old, however (mercifully!) I knew it was beyond me to repair it. Now 15 odd years later, and that my parents have found the camera again (it was lost in a box in the loft for the last 10 years!), I'd like to have a shot at sorting it if possible.

So...assuming that this is something related to the holiday in Canada in the 70s when it started playing up...is this likely to be something that's fixable? Also...is it likely to be fixable without dismantling the entire camera?

I shall be taking this back into my care as of this weekend, when I'll give it a good once over and confirm what model it is!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration