Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

HELP Mamiya 645 Super mirror problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » HELP Mamiya 645 Super mirror problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brkl
Tinkerer
Username: Brkl

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My beautiful Mamiya is broken. First what happened, then my question.

I bought a Mamiya 645 Super off of Ebay, promised to be in excellent condition, which it kind of was. I would've been fooled if the seller claimed it was never used. However, it was damaged somewhat in transport (this is what the seller claims, and I believe him). First, I noticed the focus screen wasn't focusing properly (infinite focus was blurry, around 5m was sharp at that setting). By fiddling around with the M UP switch I determined the mirrow was too low when resting. I thought about it for about a week and then tried what would happen if I lifted a little piece of metal that stopped the mirror when it was descending. When I did this, a little spring.. sprung out. See the pictures.

So this is the problem. I don't know if anyone is repairing the cameras in my country (Finland), and I've already spent more money on it I intended. Can I fix this by myself?

Thank you for any response you find the time to write as long as it's not spam.

Photo:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2434/3657849987_4e4c2d15a9_b.jpg
Bigger photo:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2434/3657849987_a1693b2c6b_o.jpg

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 77

Posted on Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brkl (how do you pronounce that with no vowels?): Can't tell from the pictures how to help you but if you send it to me, I will repair the focus problem, adj the focus and do nothing else, send it back to you for peanuts (American for a few bucks) and shipping, Thats the best I can do from here to help a hurting Fin. www.flcamerarepair.com

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 87

Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you checked the focus with another lens? I have an 80mm f1.9 that is behaving exactly as you describe. Other lenses focus fine.
That mirror stop is spring loaded to absorb the shock of the mirror lowering, (the loose spring you show}. I don't think it's adjustable, but if the spring is not replaced properly the mirror stop would be too low. This is something you can repair yourself, with patience.

Brkl
Tinkerer
Username: Brkl

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the offer, Bossman! That really is very generous. However, I expect shipping would be downright heinous, not to mention how long it would take. Thanks anyway!

Petercat, yeah, I checked with another lens. Replacing it myself is maybe an option. A friend of mine told me of a Finnish repair place, so I'll inquire about the cost first. Professional repair would be preferred if I can afford it.

Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration