Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

75/3.5 CZJ Tessar disassembly... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » 75/3.5 CZJ Tessar disassembly... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bliorg
Tinkerer
Username: Bliorg

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, all -

I'm fixing an Old Standard Rolleiflex, and the front Tessar group has a ton of haZe to clean. Problem is, I can't figure out for the life of me how to disassemble the group. There's no set screws, no slots for a spanner anywhere.

Anyone know how to break this puppy open?

Thanks,
Scott

CZJ Tessar

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 925

Posted on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't recall opening one of these, but I have a hunch that the ID ring is threaded. The tool I would try for this is a piece of plastic pipe, with the outside diameter about out to the outer edge of the engraved lettering - on the end of it, apply some double-sided foam adhesive tape (3M is the brand you see in stores most often). Then press this firmly against the ID ring and twist counterclockwise. If that doesn't get it started, I don't know of anything that won't require some cutting or drilling.

Bliorg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Rick. Lemme hear about the cutting and drilling. Won't budge - I found a rubber tripod leg tip that fits the diameter of the ring perfectly. No joy...

Scott

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 926

Posted on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A rubber tool won't have enough grip. Did you try the pipe + adhesive tape?

Bliorg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That explains it. Not enough grip...

Haven't gotten out to Ace yet for the pipe and tape, but someone over on nelsonfoto.com posted a picture of the same era Tessar from the same model camera, and the casing actually splits instead of the ring coming apart:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/Wayno3/Repair%20stuff/OldStandardFrontCel l2.jpg

Need to figure out how to separate the halves now...

Fredster
Tinkerer
Username: Fredster

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe a couple of strap wrenches - I made mine out of a shoe lace and a couple of Bic pen barrels.

Bliorg
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Made a couple flex wrenches from some 2" x 1/8" aluminum. Took about ten seconds of twisting, and the halves popped apart. Very satisfying.

Home made flex wrenches

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 928

Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 06:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

nice work!

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 621

Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I second that - a proper solution to the problem. Aluminium is a very good material for the production of flex wrenches in the DIY workshop, large diameter holes being easily cut with an old fashioned tank cutter - if the diameter is not available in a hole saw.

Jpd
Tinkerer
Username: Jpd

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, July 08, 2009 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How did it go?

There's no set screw and no spanner wrench is needed. You just unscrew the mount like I did on the picture. It's a 13,5cm Tessar, but the Rollei Tessars have the same type mount. I've cleaned the lenses on my Rolleiflex Standards (I have three).

Tessar

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration