Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon Power Shot A710 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Canon Power Shot A710 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Canonman
Tinkerer
Username: Canonman

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been having trouble with "Change Battery" messages and low battery displays etc. and can't figure out how to get rid of the problem. New Lythium batteries with 1.72 reading on elec. meter. Sometimes I can press the bottom of the battery door and get a better connection. Have cleaned both door contacts and interior battery contacts with q-tip and peroxide but no change. Today, I can't get the camera to start at all. Any ideas on what to look for?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 620

Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A trouble free classic camera perhaps?

I seriously doubt that peroxide and a Q tip will clean the contacts - you should abrade the metal surface with a piece of 400 grade wet and dry or a proprietary abrasive contact cleaner. If this does not work send it back to Canon for a rather expensive service or get a new one.

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 16

Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And use rubbing alcohol or lighter fluid to clean contacts. Peroxide doesn't really do anything. Look at the battery contacts. If they can be bent up a bit they will make better contact. I once had a camera that had an unbelievable case of metal fatigue in the battery contacts. Had to bend them back up every few days.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration