Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Canon AE-1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 51

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently picked up a fine black AE-1. Upon pressing the shutter, red diods sarted blinking in the viewfinder and the needle rested at the very bottom of the scale. After fiddling with it for a while, I did get the needle to register the correct F-stop and the blinking stopped. I had removed the bottom plate and fired the shutter manually which seemed to get it reading correctly. However, every once in a while the blinking starts up again and the needle drops to the bottom of the scale. I don't want to run film through it until I know that it's working correctly. I'm sure it's either a capacitor or some contacts not working correctly but I'm not sure where to look. I'd hate to remove the top to have a look, but probably that's where the problem may lie, cause it's not visible with the bottom plate removed. I understand the AE-1 is an electrical nightmare, but has anyone had the same problem and were you able to find the problem. I may have to send it off to Gary's Camera to have a CLA, but I 'd like to attempt to find the culprite first.

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 82

Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yessir!! I have done probably 500 AE-1's with same problem: If the meter pegs at bottom it's almost always the control cable under the top broken. Remove the rewind and the e-clip holding the disc under the rewind.....remove the disc and observe the control under the disc as you change speeds. If the control does NOT move as you change speeds, your control cable is broken and you will have to replace it (not an eay task my friend). www.flcamerarepair.com

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 111

Posted on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 04:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the shutter speed dial can be turned without much resistance, the coupling cord is probably broken. A poor design IMHO. The cord can be replaced with fine non-stretch fishing line.

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 52

Posted on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you gentlemen. You appear to be in agreement regarding the possible problem. However, right now, everything is working correctly and the F stops change with the change in the shutter speed dial; this would seem to suggest that the coupling cord is intact, and I'm inclined to think that the problem is more electical than mechanical - IMHO! I'm very skeptical about removing the top and if the problem persists, I'll consider sending it out for a CLA. Thank for your input.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration