Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Help! Minolta XG-M Film won't advance... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Help! Minolta XG-M Film won't advance « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rlchota
Tinkerer
Username: Rlchota

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A friend of mine sold me his used Minolta xg-m and I managed to load a roll of film with no problems and I when I was taking pictures, when I reached the end of the roll I noticed that the film advance lever didn't "catch" or wind anymore. It just moved freely.

Never owning an SLR camera before I figured this was normal. So I went to replace the film and the problem persisted, I couldn't load a new roll because I couldn't advance the film. My battery indicator still says the battery works.

Does anybody have an idea of whats going on?

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 85

Posted on Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richota: This problem could be several things.......none of which have magic solutions!! Take off the bottom plate and play with the cocking parts etc you may be able to stumble on a fix. Also try cocking the camera and letting the advance slam back. Sometimes this will cause the shutter to fire and the whole system re-cycle. One more thing after you take the bottom plate off: take a small hammer and rap the mechanism a time or two right on the edge of the battery holder/tripod plate corner screw closest to the advance side of camera......may have the same effect as a defibulator (not sure of the spelling but you get the idea, right?!!

Rlchota
Tinkerer
Username: Rlchota

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey thanks, that worked! I tried cocking back the lever hard and the shutter went. Then the thing froze up again, but after a few taps and spinning the shutter speed around for a while I got it to start working consistently again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration