Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

F4 electrical problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » F4 electrical problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bettersense
Tinkerer
Username: Bettersense

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought a F4s in apparently mint condition. It's still in the box and has not so much as a fingerprint on it, but it suffers from a problem where the viewfinder indicators work only intermittently. This includes both the LCD displays and the green LED backlight.

You can get them to come on and stay on if you press down hard on top of the prism. With the prism off, you can see how the little info screens shine up into the prism when the prism is on, and they have the same kind of intermittent failure to work when the finder is off. When you press the shutter button down halfway, if the lights fail to come on, you can almost always get them to come on by pressing against the back of the camera near where the finder slides on. You can even get them to blink on and off sometimes by pressing here on and off. So it must be flexing something and making intermittent contact inside somewhere, perhaps under the bus bar that has all the finder contacts on it.

Has anyone had this problem or known of it before? Is there a simple fix by any chance? How can I go about getting the camera repaired? Does Nikon still work on these? Do I want to know how much it's going to cost?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 39

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 01:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would start with cleaning the contacts on the body,remove the prism and the screen and clean the contact with a bit of naptha ( lighter fluid ).
If that does not fix it, see if you can find someone with another prism that you can try, it may be the prism not the body.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration