Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Opening small Compound shutter with d... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Opening small Compound shutter with dialset TBI « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Johnphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Johnphoto

Post Number: 17

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've acquired an old 16.5mm Dagor with nice glass but the shutter has a couple of problems. One of the three shutter blades is loose, pivoting under the effect of gravity alone; the other two blades work at T,B and runs at one instantaneous speed regardless of the speed setting. It has a dial on the left side instead of the lever at the bottom for setting t/b/i.

Would appreciate any advice on removing the TBI dial and cocking lever to get the front plate off and look inside. I was only able to find the SKGrimes page...is there other info out there on Compound shutters?

Johnphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 18

Posted on Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The top piston is a very tight fit and would have to be machined to work properly. But I could get by with just T and B. I took the front plate off hoping to be able to reattach the loose shutter blade, unfortunately no access from above. Looks as though the back has to come off, and as the shutter blades are above the iris I guess this means the iris has to come apart--pretty daunting. Any pointers?

Am posting a couple of pics in case anyone is interested. The TBI dial and the speed dial lift off when center screw is removed. Cocking lever: remove 3 outer screws. Remove adapter ring between front lens cell and shutter. Front plate is now held on by just two screws: a long one below the cocking lever, and a tiny one under the left end of the aperture scale. (The screw to the right of the speed dial is an adjustment screw I believe.)

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 77

Posted on Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a a manual at this location. Part one has a Compound shutter in it. Its not the same as yours but it may give you some pointers.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/inter-lenses_shutters/inter-lenses_shutters.htm

The pistons should slide freely, clean the bore and piston with lighter fluid and then polish. Don't machine or use any abrasive on them.

I think you are going to have to remove the top deck to get to the shutter blades and then another deck to the iris blades.

Be careful before using any solvents on the blades, some will dissolve in alcohol. Try a small swab with lighter fluid first.

Here's another link

http://www.skgrimes.com/compound/index.htm

Best of luck

Johnphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 19

Posted on Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With the front cover off and the four screws at the back holding the body shell and diaphragm to the shutter mechanism plate removed, the shutter mechanism plate shows absolutely no interest in being lifted out. I've loosened scews A & B in the bottom pic (I imagine they must be the ones holding piston in place). Can't see what else could be holding it in place.

It's hard to see how the piston works as there doesn't appear to be any mechanical connection to the shutter.

Manual pages are from the manual on Mike Butkus' site; the third photo from SKGrimes' site.

Johnphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 78

Posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 04:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't give you a blow by blow description from here. I don't have one in bits at the moment. From the pics on the Grimes website it does look like the top piston is held on by two screws in the shutter.
My limited experience with leaf shutters indicates that you have to remove almost all of the levers before the plate will come out. Now that you are down this far its not such a big deal. Go slowly and take plenty of pics.
You will get it apart, and repair it.
Sorry I can't help any more.
Best

Johnphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 21

Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I succeeded in getting the mechanism plate out of the case. (I put the 4 rear screws partway back in, and squeezed with pliers spanning from the head of the screw to the front rim of the case). The bottom of the case is machined to receive the plate and is a very tight fit. The pin (pressfit maybe) in one of the shutter blades that slides in a slot in the shutter actuating ring had come out; a microdot of crazy glue is holding it, and the reassebled mechanism is functioning. A piston problem remains which I will put in a new thread.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration