Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FM10 advance knob is stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Nikon FM10 advance knob is stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mindcircus
Tinkerer
Username: Mindcircus

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 02:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, it's my first time posting here. I have a Nikon FM10 and the advance knob is stuck. I know it's one of the cheap models of Nikon but I would like to give it life again... Any ideas where to start from?

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 90

Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's been a while since I serviced an FM10 so I could have some details wrong but here goes: if the FM10 has a setting on the speed dial for manually releasing the shutter, turn it to that setting and see if shutter releases. Also make sure your batteries are strong enough to fire the shutter......one other thing, remove the bottom plate and see if you can manually release the advance so you can advance it and possibly re-cycle the operation. Hope this will help.

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 123

Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 06:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What Bossman is telling you - is that the film advance lever may not be stuck at all - but cannot be advanced because the shutter is already cocked. As with most cameras - it is designed that way so as to avoid unintentional film wastage as by winding on unexposed frames. And to answer Bossman's question, the FM-10 does not have a siutter speed setting to work without battery-power.

Did you know that the cocked shutter cannot be released UNLESS the film advance lever is in its initial stand-off position?
If the film advance lever is pushed fully closed flush with the rear eadge of the top-plate, the shutter-release is locked and an exposure cannot be made.

Install fresh batteries, pull the film advance lever to its stand-off position, and try again.

Ronnies
Tinkerer
Username: Ronnies

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 01:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All the FM10 shutter speeds whould work without a battery. It's a mechanical camera but do watch out for the shutter lock with the wind on lever pushed in to the body as Ethostech said.

Hovaness
Tinkerer
Username: Hovaness

Post Number: 79

Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you take off the bottom plate, you may find that there is a simple tolerance problem in the parts of the double exposure prevention mechanism. I have fixed several jammed FM10 cameras by just filing a bit off one of the locking levers. It is hard to describe the layout of the mechanism in words, but you will easily see what the parts in question do once you have the bottom off the camera. Evidently the manufacturing tolerances on these Cosina-made bodies were not up to Nikon standards.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration