Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Diagnosing a light meter problem in O... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Diagnosing a light meter problem in Olympus OM-1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wildestseas
Tinkerer
Username: Wildestseas

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,
I recently picked up an old Olympus OM-1 md and found that the light meter works only intermittently. I am using a 1.4 volt zinc/air battery and modified the battery compartment to accommodate the smaller cell (I'm confident it maintains constant contacts). The actual light meter appears to be properly calibrated and functions correctly in relation to the aperture and shutter speed dials, however, if I just lightly tap the camera the circuit seems to break and the meter flickers off and on. Most obviously, it seems like there just might be a wire loose, but assuming that the camera body has never been disassembled before, I don't see this as a probable point for failure when examining the mechanical complexity of the entire metering system.

Taking a glance at the schematics in the technical repair manual for this machine has convinced me that I don't want to disassemble anything that isn't absolutely necessary. Suspecting that things that come off the same assembly line often meet similar fates, I'm curious if anyone on this forum has run into a comparable issue with an OM-1. I would be grateful for any thoughts/advice before I attempt brain surgery. I have a second OM-1 md body to cannibalize for parts.

Thanks!

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 67

Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds more like a dirty switch contact to me. Working the on/off about 50 times might get it working again or cleaning it with contact cleaner like 5-56 CrC electronics cleaner or lighter fluid.

Wildestseas
Tinkerer
Username: Wildestseas

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're right Tom. A little acetone took care of the problem quite well - no triple bypass required. Thanks for your help!

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 91

Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One other thing (hope you still have the top off)! I have had many OM-1s that acted like yours and I solved it buy solering a tiny flexible wire from the meter main structure to the body of the camera somewhere close by. This re-establishes the ground for the meter and almost ALWAYS solves the jumpy meter problem I would be careful using acetone because it WILL melt plastic sometimes.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration