Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE1 shutter button Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Canon AE1 shutter button « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nigelr
Tinkerer
Username: Nigelr

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 04:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I have bought a very nice Canon AE1 with a missing battery door and almost everything working. Door can be sorted but the only problem is that the shutter button "lock" goes round and round and the self timer doesn't work. I removed the top cover (taking all normal precautions) and found that the bit that stops the shutter lock rotating and nudges the self timer was broken off. Ok I don't have a spare cover plate so I need to glue the bit back on. I would like to remove the lock assembly before I do it but it appears to be held in place with a spring shaped piece of metal attached to a brass tube. Is the brass simply bent over the springy metal? how can I get it apart?
Thanks
Nigel

Nigelr
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 05:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Conversly has anybody got the AE-1 exploded parts diagram.

Looking closely at the shutter lock and self timer switch, does the chrome ring on the top come off allowing removal of the assembly?

Thanks

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 92

Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure what all you are describing concerning the top etc but I'll send you an entire top assy. for 10.00 + 5.00 shipping (I hope nobody trashes me again on here for getting "rich" at your expense!). BTW you don't have to take the release and self lever apart to remove the top (too late now huh!!) You can get AE-1 battery doors from Micro Tools.

Nigelr
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 02:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Thanks for the offer but £10 was all that was paid for my camera and lens and I will probably wait for another complete camera to turn up (car boot fairs are good for this).

The problem is that the piece of plastic that extends from under the shutter lock lever and nuges the self timer switch in the body is broken off. (this is also meant to stop the switch from simply rotating round and round) This was only discovered after the top was removed to investigate the problem. I thought that if I could dismantal the shutter button assembly it would make repair or replacement of the piece easier.

The existing top plate is mint and it would be good to replace just the broken part from a scrapper rather than the whole top, but to do this I need to take it the shutter button/self timer switch assembly apart...........

Thanks again

Nigel
www.nigelrichards.co.uk

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 122

Posted on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 02:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

there is a ae-1 service manual at:
http://rapidshare.com/files/91141305/ae1pgeneralrepair.pdf

The download should work - I just tried it. File is 15 MB

Hope it helps.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 118

Posted on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Only guessing but I expect the collar around the release button unscrews similar to the A-1. Try using a rubber pad. It may be easier to drill a small hole where the plastic tab has broken off and glue in a small piece of hard plastic.

Nigelr
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the link and the advice, unfortunatly the manual is for an AE1 Program and the shutter button assembly is different in an AE1. My first thought was to glue somthing in and that was why I wanted to take it to bits, to stop the glue leaking under the shutter lock lever and bunging everything up. I did put a rubber bung on the chrome ring round the button but it wouldnt budge, if thats the way an A1 works then I will try again.

Thanks

PS its car boot day tomorrow and I might find a scrap body with a good top for a couple of pounds.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 629

Posted on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is an AE1 manual available online, both for sale and free - I seem to have lost the bookmark - but from memory the original manual was published by the American 'National Camera Repair Organisation' or some such body. I am sure we have mentioned this before, so search the archives.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration