Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Configuration of lever at top of Comp... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Configuration of lever at top of Compound shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Johnphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Johnphoto

Post Number: 22

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Compound shutter running at high speed only, apparently because when assembled, lever B (at the 12 o'clock position) is wedged against surface A (the edge of the top cylinder), and does not move when the shutter is tripped. When the piston is removed, lever B moves as indicated by the yellow arrows.

It seems logical to think that the lever has been bent, and it should stick up into the hole in the side of the piston.

I'm hoping that before I try bending lever B upwards, someone familiar with these shutters can give me guidance.

Cylinder and piston12 o'clock lever

Johnphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Johnphoto

Post Number: 23

Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bent the lever up so it engages the piston, and all is well in the world. More or less. I was too enthusiastic in cleaning the piston; air can escape too easily, so it runs too fast...speeds range between 1/30 (1 sec setting) to 1/100 (1/200 setting). A little oil in the cylinder would no doubt slow it down but pehaps in an unpredictable way that would change over time. As it is, along with the T and B settings it is entirely usable in its intended use on a view camera, and the speeds it has now are repeatable and highly reliable. <br><br>The diagram from NatCam is helpful, but note that the cam c is shown flopped from its correct orientation.<br>

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 81

Posted on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 12:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have done well on that shutter. Bringing it back from the dead, so to speak. Congratulations.
Greg

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration