Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Where to get 35mm and 120 film develo... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Where to get 35mm and 120 film developed? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephenl
Tinkerer
Username: Stephenl

Post Number: 19

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I soon learned that the local one hour places did a horrible job. The local photoshop sends my 35mm and Medium format film to some "better lab" down the road. But I'm still seeing a lot of developing issues in the final product.

Can you guys tell me who you go to for developing? Is there some place that I can mail the stuff to myself that does a great job developing?

I'm tired of having to do things like crop off the edge of say, every 4th negative because of some strange light leaks or streaking of some sort in the developing process. I'm seeing different problems on different rolls all coming off the same camera. lines one time that look like scraping, smears the next time that look like something happened when the film was wet, and strange red light streaks on say every forth or fifth frame. Never the same set of issues but rarely do they send me a roll with no issues. It's hit or miss all from the same camera and I think the camera is in good shape.

I need to find some place that tends to do a very good job with developing the negative so I have a good product to scan.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 72

Posted on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is what you want:

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/newsite2006/overview.html

Jon_goodman
Tinkerer
Username: Jon_goodman

Post Number: 37

Posted on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you sure you don't have a light leak, Stephen?
Jon

Stephenl
Tinkerer
Username: Stephenl

Post Number: 20

Posted on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon,

Pretty sure. Sometimes I'm seeing something like a light leak, but the seals were replaced when the camera was reworked and it's not consistent, not every frame or every on every roll. When it happens it tends to be about every fourth frame or so. And it's not on every roll. Some rolls I see smearing like the negative is smeared in processing. And a new thing last time around, some sort of horrible lines like something was scrapping the film and getting worse as it went.

I've seen strange crappy results from the one-hour machines and seen it all go away when dumping them for a different one hour place only to be presented with new issues at the different one hour joint. But now this processor that is supposedly professional and used by the local photo shop is showing me issues that they didn't used to give me. Looking at the envelop, their name isn't even on it so I have no idea who they really are.

It's possible some of what I've seen is me...but certainly not all of it. I'm at the point where I'm willing to pay to know I'm getting someone that does it right.

Chiccolini
Tinkerer
Username: Chiccolini

Post Number: 42

Posted on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, yes, Dwayne's Photo. He is on the web. Good prices.

Wildestseas
Tinkerer
Username: Wildestseas

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I take my film to the photo department at a local university. They do a beautiful job with E-6, C-41, and B&W for around $5 a roll. You might check with any local schools in your area to see if they offer services like these.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 965

Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

every 4th or 5th frame sounds like an odd pattern for a processing lab. i'd expect something more like light leaks at the beginning or end of the roll, or the entire roll fogged, or dirty, fingerprinted or something like that. intermittent light leaks within the roll sound more like a camera problem, especially if it happens more than once.

Johnmaloof
Tinkerer
Username: Johnmaloof

Post Number: 14

Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a old Rolleiflex TLR that has a slight light leak. It isn't every frame that shows leaks. I think if the leak is small enough then if you shoot a few frames quickly, it may not have time for the light to burn on the film. But if you leave a frame on the leak long enough it will show.

This may explain the randomness.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration