Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Seikosha shutter cleaning and lubrica... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Seikosha shutter cleaning and lubricating -- a small trick « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 132

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just restored an Olympus 35-S rangefinder and ran into the same problem I had a couple of months ago with the shutter on a Mamiya lens for the C series TLR, both have Seikosha shutters. I could not get the shutter to run after soaking it in naphta and thereby completely de-greasing it. One symptom was that cocking the shutter takes more force than one would think it would and feels kind of rough. The remedy is to lubricate the main spring of the shutter with a small drop of watch oil. Apparently, the Seikosha shutter will not run if it is completely dry, unlike some other shutters.

This is probably old news for some of the more experienced tinkerers... it took me a while to figure out. I thought I'd post it here for the record, since I did not find this information anywhere online (D. Mitchell on his page about the Seikosha shutter only advises to "lubricate the speed setting, cam cover and diaphragm control lever where they rub against each other and the case").

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration