Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Medalist I Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Medalist I « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike_kovacs
Tinkerer
Username: Mike_kovacs

Post Number: 14

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 06:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

Are there any resources on repairing the Kodak Medalist series of cameras?

I was gifted a Medalist I with some issues and I want to get a head start on my research before the camera arrives. I have nothing in my files on the Medalist.

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 121

Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 07:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi.
No.1 dates between 1941-8. Last estimate I know of was $175-250. This is a book price, and as such these often have little relationship to the real world. Price is often the deciding factor when it comes to repair costs, which can exceed market values. In my experience, workshops often look askance and shake their heads these days, either because they don't want to know, and/or because of a spares problem. I suppose much depends on what is wrong with your camera, a point you did not specify. Cosmetic condition is also a vital factor. There are sites which offer repair manuals, should you wish to have a go yourself as a last resort.

Mike_kovacs
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All I have until the camera arrives is "something in the focus mech hangs up.

Of course I want to have a go at the repair myself!

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 133

Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try this link:

http://furucame.sakura.ne.jp/MO3/USA/Kodak/Med2/rest/restor.html

it's about the Medalist II, but the I and II are very similar. Also, it is in Japanese, so you might want to try to translate it with one of those online translators.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 82

Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, that shouldn't be so hard to fix if you are talking about the lens focusing. It is just a big screw thread tube (helical). Spray out the screw threads and regrease.

But it sounds more like you may be referring to the RF. In that case it may need a cleaning as the parts gum up sometimes. The only other possibility on that is a little prism popped off its mooring and got stuck in there somewhere preventing the parts from moving. In that case just reglue the prism back in place.

If you want to spend the cash to have it fixed one place that does these is Photography on Bald Mountain or, probably a bit cheaper, try SPTS (Strauss Photo Technical Services).

Mike_kovacs
Tinkerer

Post Number: 16

Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the link.

Yes, there are quite a few places that can handle the Medalists. Ken at Bald Mountain being one of the most famous for his ($$$) 120 conversions. I think I'd hold out for a Medalist II before springing for a 120 conversion though. I have quite a few 620 spools kicking around.

I assume the internal coatings in the Medalist I are soft coatings and not to be touched? I'd probably leave the lens alone anyway unless I need to do a shutter overhaul as well.

John_s
Tinkerer
Username: John_s

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I got my Medalist I removed the top, which holds the viewfinder and rangefinder glasses and rangefinder indicator, to clean the glass in the windows. It's easy to get off - four screws - but when I refitted it the rangefinder would not engage properly with the indicator disc which is spring loaded, thus rendering it useless. There is a trick to getting it back in the correct position which I couldn't discover, so I had to have it repaired professionally. This may be what has happened to yours.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 213

Posted on Friday, July 24, 2009 - 05:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I remember correctly, the helical focussing tubes on the Medalist I are plastic. If so I would be careful what cleaning solution I put on them.

Mike_kovacs
Tinkerer

Post Number: 19

Posted on Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 07:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK I've managed to have a look at this camera.

On the top right of the inside of the camera, there is a spring loaded L shaped long piece that came out of its track where I think it is supposed to engage the RF mechanism. That has the lens collapsing smoothly and the RF coupling going again.

The RF distance scale is off so I'll have to figure out how to calibrate it properly, after I double check the collimation on the lens compared to where the RF image says infinity is.

The other issue I seem to have is the shutter won't fire. The shutter cocking lever (rear under viewfinder) is loose and when you look at the shutter cocking mechanism inside, it doesn't seem to be returning to where it should be.

http://furucame.sakura.ne.jp/MO3/USA/Kodak/Med2/rest/1001.jpg - where screws E & F are located, this isn't moving back left all the way and seems to block the shutter release mechanism above and behind it.

When you fire with the cable release, the shutter just opens and stays open. It closes when you recock the shutter. My gut says the release mechanism has jumped out of position. Any ideas?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration