Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Opening front of the lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Opening front of the lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Beba
Tinkerer
Username: Beba

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!
This is common sense, but if I realised it before I wouldn't have scratched front of my lens.

I was just trying to open the lens of Minolta Himatic 7s to clean fungus on the back element, and I was stuck at the beginning. First ring was so tight that I've scratched it (two times) and could not get it to unscrew. It did not move, not even a little.

Then, after some thoughtful examination, I realised that this thin ring was being pushed from inside.
Then I pressed the inner ring (wich has photocell on it), and the thin ring was so easy to unscrew.

I hope this makes sense and helps you.

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 91

Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 02:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

#1 This most probably refers to the Hi-M 7 S II (2/two), otherwise it does not make much sense.
#2 You cannot reach the "back element" of the lens of a Hi-M 7 S from the front.
#3 If a ring is "so tight" put just half a drop of lighter fuel on the thread and it will most probably unscrew easily.

Beba
Tinkerer
Username: Beba

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see you did not understand me.
#1 It does refer to 7s, not 7sII. I cleaned the back element through open shutter (B setting).
#3 I did not try with the lighter fuel, but I think in this case it would not help. The effect of ring with photocell was like the counter screw - tightening it from behind an preventing the front thin ring from turning. When I pushed it in, there was no force on the thin ring and it unscrewed VERY easely.

Thanks

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 93

Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First steps first, second steps afterwards.

When properly assembled it is by no means possible to do anything to the CdS cell or its assembly, neither push or move it in any way, as long as the siver ring nut around the filter thread keeps the front bezel in its place. That is why one usually has to unscrew the "ring" before tackling anything else.
Lighter fluid along the thread sometimes reduces the friction when unscrewing - and it evaporates if it is of no use.
Are we talking about a lens element, a lens group or lens "halves", with the shutter between them? In any older Hi-M it is not possible to clean the rear element (a single glass lens), except for its surface pointing to the film chamber, without a more or less complete knockdown of the camera.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration