Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Loading film into Welta Perle Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Loading film into Welta Perle « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Worldskater1291
Tinkerer
Username: Worldskater1291

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure if this is where I should post this question, but here goes.

I recently found a Welta Perle with a Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar f2.8 75mm lens, in relatively good shape and would love to use it. However, I am not sure how to load the film into the back. I can open the back up, but after that I am usure.

I was also wondering about winding the film, and how far I have to turn the winding-knob until the next frame is in place.

Any info would be appreciated, as google searches turn up fruitless. Thanks!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 954

Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is kind of generic, you may have to figure out a few little details: generally in this sort of camera, you will find one empty film spool, at the end where there is no wind knob, and a completely empty chamber where the wind knob is. You take the empty spool out and put it back in at the wind-knob end... the little peg opposite the wind knob is usually spring-loaded to let you insert the spool, and you line up the slot at the other end of the spool so that the 'blade' on the end of the wind shaft fits into the slot in the spool.

Now you insert a fresh roll of film into the empty space at the other end where you removed the empty spool. The procedure is the same as above, without the winding shaft to worry about, and the film is oriented so that it can be drawn across the back of the camera and rolled up onto the empty spool. Insert the tab at the end of the film's paper backing into the slot in the spool and wind it a turn or two until it hangs on. Then close the back.

In the back, you will find a small red window... in the case of an early 645 format camera, 2 red windows. There may or may not be a little cover over the windows - if there is one, open it. Wind the film until you see the number 1 appear in the FIRST window (watch for it carefully, sometimes the row of "1's" across the paper looks like a line of dashes and you don't recognize it). This is frame 1. Close the cover over the red windows, and take your first shot.

To advance to frame 2, you wind until the number 1 appears in the SECOND window. Number 2 appearing in the first window is frame 3, etc.

Later cameras only have one window in the back. These are simpler - you just wind to each number in succession, from 1 to 16. Otherwise, operation of the early and late cameras is the same.

WHen you reach the end, wind the film on until the paper is all rolled up on the takeup spool. Open the back and remove the full spool. Fold the paper tab under and you will find a piece of glue-backed paper hanging from the backing of the film. Wrap this around the roll, lick it and stick it down to protect the film from stray light.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 88

Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Welta Perle was built in a few different sizes/formats but yours would either be the 6x4.5 cm size or 6x6 cm size based on the lens you mentioned (6x4.5 = 2-1/4 x 1-5/8 inch and 6x6 - 2-1/4 inch square). These were built from 1934 to 1939.

As Rick said, loading is simple. Put the new roll of film on one side and the empty roll/spool on the side where the winding knob is. You might have to pull up on the winding knob to get the spool/roll in.

If yours is the 6x6 type the single red window is in the center of the back and you get 12 photos. Wind the knob and stop when a number shows up in the red window. To correct Rick, you will only see numbers 1 to 12 on a single red window back.

If yours is the 6x4.5 type, advance the film like Rick said - first window then same number in the 2nd window. The smaller format will give you 16 photos on a roll.

Clean your lens before loading. Check it for haziness. Open the back, set the shutter on T, open the aperture to f2.8, shoot the shutter and look through the lens at a light source. Shoot the shutter again to close it.

If it needs cleaning, fog the lens with your breath and gently wipe with a soft tissue if you don't have lens tissue. If you still see haze then you need to spin off the lens and clean the back side of the glass. If I remember correctly the Perle focuses with a lever on the door and not by turning the front lens so that makes it simple to unscrew it and clean the back side. Same of the other half of the lens inside the camera.

If you can't get the lens to budge or it is a front lens focusing style camera then you can always just remove the rear lens and leave the shutter open and reach through to clean the front lens from behind that way.

I had one of these 25 years ago but the owner had hacked the camera and put a different shutter on it and altered the camera adding wood to the inner door which eliminated the folding option.

Worldskater1291
Tinkerer
Username: Worldskater1291

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank-you both very much!

I soon figured out how to load the film after I posted that. I simply couldn't get the empty spool to come out so I got confused. I also have a Bronica ETRS so I was familiar with the technique for 120 film.

My model Perle has the two red windows. I have wound it to the point where I can start to see a line, but I can't tell if it is a number 1 or just a line. At this point I think its up to my own judgement.

Thanks for the responses.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 955

Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kodak film has "1's" that just look like straight lines, so it fools me sometimes ... I don't realize I've seen the 1 until I see the 2 come up. Not the end of the world if it happens...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration