Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Very urgent Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Very urgent « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nunosousa84
Tinkerer
Username: Nunosousa84

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well i have made a stupid error. I will try to explain in good english. Im trying to remove the top cover for cleaning it. So i opened the door where you put the film, unscrew the rewind knob but dont know why stupidly closed the door now without the rewind knob, and as you can imagine cant open it now! there is some other way of open it? I really need the camera!

Thank you
Nuno

Nunosousa84
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ha by the way is a Canon AE-1. Anyone knows where i can find the service manual for it?

Sillyconguru
Tinkerer
Username: Sillyconguru

Post Number: 26

Posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use something like a crochet needle, insert it into the rewind shaft hole and try to hook the release catch upwards.

Nunosousa84
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok im going to try it. Actually i was trying to do it with a clip. By the way do you know where i can download the service/repair manual for the AE-1? One more question how is the procedure to remove the shutter dial and lever. I have tried but it seemd a bit stuck.

Thank you

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 40

Posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First thing to do is set the sutter speed on "B" and the film speed on 3200, do this before anything else.
The pinfaced screw on top of the advance lever should unscrew anti-clockwise,use a rubber pad or fine pointed pliers
Under the lever is another pinfaced screw,now remove that.
Now lift the back of the speed dial (where 1000 is on the dial) slightly and turn the dial clockwise so the "B" is now at the front of the camera.
You are now there the top can now be removed.

Nunosousa84
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok thank you. i will try today. By the way another problem i noticed yesterday late at night. Since i was not able to remove the shutter dial and lever i screwed all the screws again to their place and when i was testing the camera taking some photos (without film, just testing)i have noticed the shutter dial gets stuck at 4 and dont go forward! have any ideia what might be?

Thank you and sorry for the problems :-)

Nunosousa84
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 01:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok problem solved. I think the problem was something to do with the rewind knob, i have turned it a bit (like we used to do with old phones dialing the numbers :-) and now i can reach 1000 shutter speed freely even if 500 and 1000 are a bit stuck when changing speed. I hope everyting is ok now. lets get to the dial removal.

Nunosousa84
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 01:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

by the way can i use a regular machine lub oil after removing the dirt? I have here an good old oil from singer, and the lub oil i regularly use for my trumpet, so anyone of them should be aplyable? There is any parts i should avoid putting lub oil?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 957

Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 03:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some notes on disassembly of the AE-1. Email me at [email protected] if you would like a copy.

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 41

Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 11:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello
First,can we get this straight.
Where is it you want to oil?

There is NO connection between the rewind knob and the shutter speed dial.

I would suggest that you leave the screws in the body until you have removed the Advance lever and the Shutter speed dial.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration