Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FE Shutter stuck open! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Nikon FE Shutter stuck open! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alithea
Tinkerer
Username: Alithea

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter is stuck open on my Nikon FE. I am not really sure how to fix it! Do I need to oil a part to make the shutter become unstuck?

Irish_eye
Tinkerer
Username: Irish_eye

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Couple thoughts.. Not familiar with electronic shutters. Try turning the shutter dial to B (that works on some cameras. You can check that your battery is fresh too..

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 958

Posted on Friday, July 31, 2009 - 03:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess the first question is, is the shutter really open, or is the mirror just stuck in the up position?

Stuck open is not common. I think a sticky electromagnet might be able to cause it, but more often they seem to refuse to open. One thing that I have seen is sticky shutter blades: there is a sort of foam rubber gasket between the shutter and the chassis, and this material deteriorates and turns into sticky tarlike stuff with age. I've seen a number of cameras of this type with smears of black stuff on the blades, which eventually end up sticking together. If your blades look like this, you might be able to at least temporarily fix the problem by cleaning them with a cotton swab well wetted with cigarette lighter fluid (be very gentle with the blades). Of course, you can't do that until the shutter closes.

If the shutter is closed but the mirror is stuck up, remove the lens and try tugging gently downward on the front edge of the mirror. If it pops right back down, you will probably see some oily residue and black specks across the mirror near the bottom edge. This is the same sticky foam stuff as described above, but this time it's from the foam mirror bumper in front of the focusing screen. Clean the mirror with lighter fluid - I wrap a lens tissue around the cotton swab for this. The lighter fluid will leave 'water marks' on the glass; remove these by breathing on the mirror and wiping away the fog with a dry lens tissue. Then replace the foam bumper that caused the problem. If this has deteriorated to this point, then the light seals in the back door of the camera will be bad too... you can get a kit to replace all of this from Jon Goodman: "interslice" on eBay, or at [email protected] - the kits are very inexpensive and come with excellent instructions.

If the shutter is closed, the mirror is up and it does not pop back down when you try pulling on it but goes back up when you let go of it ... you have a problem in the mirror box. This will require disassembly of the camera to repair. If the shutter is stuck open and you can't clean it as I described above, this will also require disassembly to repair. There is a very good directory of repair services at www.acecam.com - click on the "repairs" link.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration