Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ultrasound Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Ultrasound « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fredster
Tinkerer
Username: Fredster

Post Number: 25

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 31, 2009 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How does one ultrasonically clean small bits like screws? Thanks.

Paj
Tinkerer
Username: Paj

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, July 31, 2009 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Fredster,
I use a small ultrasonic cleaning bath which you should be able to get fairly cheaply from some jewellers. They use them for things like cleaning ear rings, stone settings, etc. The one I've got has two small baths (approx 3" dia x 2" deep)and small screws can be put straight in the baths or you could put them in a thimble maybe.
This stops the entire bath getting quickly contaminated by the dirt which is removed. You can also add detergent to the first bath and rinse in the second. As I said mine is only a small cheap affair but it works well for small parts. I would have liked a "real" laboratory type but these whilst much more powerful are pretty expensive.
cheers paj

Fredster
Tinkerer

Post Number: 26

Posted on Friday, July 31, 2009 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Paj. Mine has a removable plastic basket which is great for gears and things, but tiny screws would fall right through. I was thinking about maybe putting the small bits in a pill bottle, or alternatively on a cloth?

Paj
Tinkerer
Username: Paj

Post Number: 7

Posted on Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Fredster,
Just one thought, you may find that if you put them in plastic bottles or on a cloth these materials may absorb some of the energy and lessen the cleaning effect. It may not make much difference. Anyway just give it a try. Mine is only a very basic one but the cleaning effect is pretty awesome---brilliant for cleaning the gunge from knurling.
cheers Paj glad to be of any help.

David_ritchie
Tinkerer
Username: David_ritchie

Post Number: 46

Posted on Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone recommend a safe cleaning fluid to use in an ultrasonic cleaning in order to clean oil and dirt from shutters. I have in mind cleaning shutters after removal from the camera and with the glass removed. I have in mind a solvent like lighter fluid, but I am afraid that such a solvent would be dangerous due to flamibility. Maybe a chlorinated solvent or one of the old liquid Freons. Thanks

John_cribbin
Tinkerer
Username: John_cribbin

Post Number: 12

Posted on Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David,

There is specific ultrasonic cleaner fluid which is used by hospitals. When I first got mine, several years ago I tried to locate some, but living in the UK it was either unobtainable or only in very expensive industrial quantities. I came across someone who recommended using nothing more than water with a few drops of washing up liquid (Fairy Liquid) as the degreaser. That's worked fine for me. Clean the parts, use kitchen paper to absorb excess fluid and if necessary put in a warm oven to evaporate any remaining moisture. Not sure if this would work with complete shutters with overlapping blades as some moisture may remain trapped, but for normal dirty parts works fine.

John

Fredster
Tinkerer

Post Number: 27

Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am using Simply Green as the solution and it works OK. I put the tiny screws in a plastic pill bottle with solution into the basket also solution with and it's OK.

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 94

Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bundle small parts in one of my girlfriend's old stockings. One warning, though:

For the love of all the gods, man, ask her to give you one, don't just swipe one of hers! Your life, ability to have children, and all future happiness depend on this!

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 95

Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, by the way, I found mine and a good solvent powder at Harbor Freight. Inexpensive.

Fredster
Tinkerer

Post Number: 37

Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have seen the Harbor Freight stuff. I'll give it a try.

Thanks to all for your input.

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 88

Posted on Friday, August 28, 2009 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have a look at a clock parts reseller, like Timesavers or Meadows and Passmore. They have non-ammoniated cleaning solutions that work well. I use one of those tea infuser devices to hold the small parts. After they come out of the ultrasonic, rinse an then use Alcohol to absorb the remaining water, then dry with a hair dryer.
I'd be careful with shutter blades. Powerful ultrasonics could damage the more fragile types.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration