Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FTb QL: Film advance and frame ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Canon FTb QL: Film advance and frame counter repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Oneheadedboy
Tinkerer
Username: Oneheadedboy

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I just found this forum, searching online for some information.
I picked up a Canon FTb QL from a garage sale this weekend. Everything seems to be in working order (from what I can tell), but the owner told me the film advance and frame counter need to be fixed. Also, the film rewind button on the bottom is no longer attached. I don't know what I would do to repair it, as cameras are pretty new to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 633

Posted on Monday, August 03, 2009 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'the film rewind button on the bottom is no longer attached' What exactly do you mean by this statement? If you mean the button is missing; then I suggest the camera has been 'got at', by somebody trying to repair it previously. Given that the QL can suffer terminal damage to the advance mechanism if it forced, after apparently becoming jammed, you may find you will need spare parts to effect a repair. Obviously Canon no longer stocks spares for this model (when they did the cost was about 3 times the present day value of the body before labour!), so you will need a parts donor if the advance mechanism is broken.

Given your stated experience and the cost of a professional repair, I would seriously think about selling yours as a parts donor and buying a working FTb - they are cheap enough.

Of course you could use the QL to enter world of DIY camera repair. In this case you will need to removed the top and base plates in the first instance, so that you can look at the advance and counter mechanism. Just bear in mind that as in DIY dentistry, your first attempts will probably only make matters worse. Perseverance is the word in this game.

Oneheadedboy
Tinkerer
Username: Oneheadedboy

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, August 03, 2009 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! I was actually looking on ebay and they are quite cheap, so I may try and get one off there, and toy around with this one. The film rewind button came taped onto the body of the camera, and the hole where it is supposed to go is missing the piece it would fit into. I was reading through the forums and I realized the plastic plate over the frame counter is missing, so the first thing I'm going to do is open the top and search for that, since I've read it can screw quite a bit up.

Thanks for the help!

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 634

Posted on Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Plastic counter window falling into the 'guts' is a very common FTb fault. If the loose window jammed the advance mechanism and then somebody was a bit ham-fisted, forcing the lever, you may find that some of the gear teeth have sheared.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration