Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Me super metering Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Me super metering « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paj
Tinkerer
Username: Paj

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 08, 2009 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,
I have a Pentax me super which I thought would make a nice compact little camera. However, on having a play with it I have developed some doubts about the functioning of the meter in auto mode. When looking at the shutter speed leds in the viewfinder whilst altering the aperture settings (using a genuine 28mm f3.5 lens)the speed leds do not change as the f-stops are changed. It seems that between 3.5 -- 8 there is change but between 8 -- 22 there is not!
Has anyone had this sort of thing with an me super or knows what's wrong?
cheers, Paj.

Steve_roberts
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_roberts

Post Number: 32

Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 05:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My guess would be the lens aperture sensing lever on the right hand side of the camera lens mount as you look into it. It's spring loaded and should move clockwise under the spring's tension as the aperture is stopped down on the lens. After a while (many years!) a combination of gunge (sometimes a little corrosion) and lessening of the spring's tension mean that the lever stops part way - maybe at about f8 so however much further you stop down the lens, the lever position never changes and hence neither do the LEDs. If you're lucky, the solution may be as simple as a tiny drop of oil where the surface of the ring that carries the lever bears on the mount, followed by a little energetic working. Don't overdo the oil, though, as you don't want the oil getting on to the resistances/wiper contact on which the lever is acting. I had this problem with my KX about fifteen years ago and a single drop of oil has had it sorted ever since. Hope it's the same for you!
Best wishes,
Steve

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 93

Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve may be steering you in the right direction but I would use a drop or two of lighter fluid and, after working the lever, blow it out. Oil
CAN be a problem and this mech. was never oiled origially anyhow. Art

Paj
Tinkerer
Username: Paj

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, August 14, 2009 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Steve and Bossman'
thanks very much for your help and advice. I checked out the sensing lever it was free and the spring tension was quite strong. I decided to use some lighter fluid to give it a clean but didn't make much difference. Anyway tried three other K mount lenses, two Pentax and a Ricoh (not mine) on the body and guess what---all these allowed the camera to work. I therefore concluded that it was some problem with the lens. However I could not see any difference between this lens and the others regarding shape, position, etc. of stop down and aperture / metering levers. I think, short of some problem with the lens I am too dumb to spot, it could be an unfavourable combination of wear/tolerance between this particular lens and the camera body?!
Anyway guys once again thanks for your info/help. Cheers, Paul.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration