Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minor Lens Repair Issue Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Minor Lens Repair Issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jsd
Tinkerer
Username: Jsd

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I am Newbie here, my apologies if this is in the wrong place but I am having difficulty finding the right place to post, and no answers so far. Thanks in advance for any help..I have a Nikon 80-200 zoom that has a loose zoom ring rubber grip. Unless I squeeze quite hard, the rubber turns but not the zoom ring. I dont think the ring works too hard, its simply that the rubber has lost its grip. Can I carefully put a few dabbs of rubber cement under the rubber, if so what kind of glue would you suggest? Or should I take it in to a pro repair shop? Thank you, JSD

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 638

Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just put a spot of ordinary contact adhesive at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock, then wipe off any 'ooze' after about 5 minutes. It is much easier to rub off semi dry/dried adhesive, the wet adhesive tends to get spread around before coming off. I normally insert a wooden cocktail stick under the rubber grip to allow the insertion of the adhesive into the gap, one moves the stick around the circumference of the barrel to place further quantities of adhesive as required.

Jsd
Tinkerer
Username: Jsd

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn, Thanks for the help, I appreciate the suggestion...
JSD

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration