Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rollei 35 - How to clean view finder? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Rollei 35 - How to clean view finder? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Johnmaloof
Tinkerer
Username: Johnmaloof

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I somehow spilled a drink on my Rollei 35 S camera over the weekend (not much but enough to fog up my viewfinder).

I am willing to attempt the repair myself but I have never known what type of tool removes the winder and lens unlock button. They look like 2 pin holes. Anyone know what I'll need to get this job done? They are on many rangefinder winders so I'm sure someone knows what I'm referring to.

Also, any advise on the procedure?

Thanks!

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 37

Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You need a wrench like one of those shown here - http://www.micro-tools.de/mm5/e_spanner.htm or you might make one from a pair of pointed nose pliers.

Johnmaloof
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks!

Monopix
Tinkerer

Post Number: 38

Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Also, any advise on the procedure? "

The best description of procedure to remove the top plate I know of is in Thomas Tomosy's book Camera Maintenance and Repair Book 1. There's also a service manual at http://www.monopix.co.uk/manuals/rollei35service.pdf. I don't know how much help it would be though but get a copy while you can as I may not be able to leave it on the server for long (I'm running out of space).

A few tips though...

When you're removing the rewind lever, have it in the normal down position, then, after removing the lever, grip the shaft and turn it 90 degrees clockwise then pull it out. When you lift the top plate, make sure the wind gears don't get disturbed. There are two, a small one and a large one. One of them (I don't remember which) is spring loaded and if the gears get lifted up, the spring will unwind and you'll have a job getting them back together. Mark the two gears (pen or scratch them) to show where they synchronise with each other then you at least have something to work to if they do come off.

I can remember what the viewfinder is like so can't help you with the cleaning but shouldn't be difficult I guess once the top plate is off.

Monopix
Tinkerer

Post Number: 39

Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 12:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should have said "I CAN'T remember what the viewfinder is like"

Johnmaloof
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration