Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

675 zinc air batteries 1.4 volt Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » 675 zinc air batteries 1.4 volt « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Shutterbug2
Tinkerer
Username: Shutterbug2

Post Number: 61

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i stumbled upon these batteries at local cvs pharmacy stores. with their rewards card i got one package of 8 batteries free. bringing cost of 16 batteries little under 49 cents each. i realize zinc air batteries have shorter life after activated and tapper off than original,s. will 1.4 pose problem versus using 1.55 on light meter readings. i,ve got bunch camera,s capable of using these size batteries. James

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 84

Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Zinc air batteries aka hearing aid batteries are a very good replacement for mercury cells. Their voltage of 1.4v is very close to 1.35v of the mercury cell.
No, they don't last as long. As soon as the air holes are uncovered the cell starts discharging.
If the camera is designed to take an alkaline cell at 1.5v then I would stick with them. Likewise with cameras which are designed to take a silver oxide cell at 1.6v. Both of those are still available, where the mercury cell is not.

Lucas
Tinkerer
Username: Lucas

Post Number: 97

Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 12:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For cameras designed for 1.35V I have found them to be a good replacement. I use those all the time in my Rollei 35 and Lunasix lightmeter. It depends on the humidity of the climate where you live, and the apparatus you use it in, how long they last. My lunasix runs about six to eight months on two of those batteries.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 964

Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 03:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ZA batteries will give good readings in most cameras and meters that were designed for 1.35v mercury cells. Although they have a shorter life than mercury and silver cells, their voltage does not taper off like it does in alkalines so the readings remain pretty stable over the life of the cell.

To your last question, though, they will NOT give good readings with a meter designed for 1.55v silver cells, the voltage difference is too great. Alkalines will generally not give good readings in anything, because of their unstable voltage, but there are a few exceptions.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration