Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Whcih one is the easier fix? (Canon A... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Whcih one is the easier fix? (Canon AV1 slrs x2) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mredphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Mredphoto

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 14, 2009 - 03:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok here is the deal. I have 2 Canon AV1 slrs (the aperture priority one) and have a couple of issues with each one and wondered what would be the easier fix.

Number 1. Good condition camera with some signs of wear on the body and light tight - BUT the focusing screen has gotten heavily scratched and marked by being cleaned with some solvent at some point making focusing extremely difficult even in bright light. All other functions work perfectly.

Number 2. Body in exceptional condition, barely worn. All functions work and focusing screen is crystal clear. However the shutter doesnt work when you use a remote cable screwed into the shutter release, but the shutter works if you press the button with your finger. Bit of a bummer as i wanted to do long exposures of star trails etc Also the film advance is a bit stiff but works.

Im willing to cannabalise either camera to make a perfect one but which one would be the easier fix?

Both are usable for general photography but they both have there drawbacks.

Advice please!!

Many thanks

Ed

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 116

Posted on Friday, August 14, 2009 - 08:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For $20. plus postage you can have mine in mint condition and working.

Popkorn520
Tinkerer
Username: Popkorn520

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, August 14, 2009 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The focus screen can only be accessed by top removal, followed by removing the prism...you can't get it out through the front of the mirror box. I would probably take the top off of the one with the shutter issue and see what's going on there, might be easier to fix.

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 122

Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 05:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All the cable-release does is operate the same trigger as your finger on the shutter button. The cause of the malfunction which you describe should be totally apparent and easy to fix once you've removed the top-plate. So this is the best of your two options.

On the other hand, the Canon AV-1 mirror-box is the most serviceman-friendly of any SLR I have encoiuntered in that it can be pulled complete and leaving all the electronics overlays intact on the chassis. Therefore removing the prism and replacing the fresnel screen is not much of a job.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 134

Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would be inclined to leave the front panel/mirror box in place and unsolder the flexi-circuit on one side to gain access to the springs holding the prism in place. It depends on how confident you are with a soldering iron as the flexi board can easily be damaged by heat.

For a newbie taking off the front panel on any camera isn't a trivial exercise. The Canon A series generally did not use spacer shims, but I recently encountered an AT-1 with a brass shim on one of the locating screws, fortunately it was glued to the body, so proceed with caution.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration